21 Search Engine Terms Every Web Marketer Should Know Part 1
1. Search Engine - Is a database of web sites that is ranked according to the computerized criteria that the programmers decide upon called an algorithm. Various search engines determine ranking on their own different factors of importance or relevancy. For the last few years the Google search engine was the most popular search engine supplying the search results for Yahoo and to a lesser extent MSN and AOL. This all changed recently after Yahoo purchased different search engine companies and developed its own search engine. Soon MSN will enter this market with its own search engine algorithm.
Searchers input keyword queries into search boxes and are given results from the databases of the search engines in accordance with the ranking algorithm from whatever search engine they are using.
In other words, search engines index sites it feels will be of value to its customers, which are Internet surfers searching for information.
The most important concept to grasp with a search engine, is that it uses an automated computerized system to find and rank the sites within its database of web sites.
2. Internet Directory - An Internet directory is a large listing of categorized web sites - however the concept that should be understood with the Internet directories, is that they actually have editors that decide what goes into the directory. Remember an Internet directory is decided and managed by human editors, while in contrast, a search engine is ranked by a computerized algorithm or system. Directories are important to get links from because, they will raise your rankings in the Google algorithm (which is based on PageRank? or links from other sites to a great extent).
3. SEO - Search Engine Optimization From the Tao of Search Engine Promotion represents the Ying or Female Principle in that it is more fluid and receptive to the algorithms of the search engines, which of course you - do not control. SEO promotion is using known conventions and in some cases deconstructing the algorithms of the developers of the search engines and working with them. In other words it is like Judo where you use the momentum and power of the search engines to build your business. You will have to be constantly vigilant, in order to try to stay abreast of the latest developments in SEO promotion.
4. Pay-Per-Click (PPC) advertising with the search engines is bidding for particular keyword phrases or search terms used most frequently by Internet users related to information on certain niches and sectors. Overture was the first great pay-per-click advertising sales channel for the search engines. It presently represents Yahoo, MSN, AOL, Alta Vista, Hot Bot, and related partners allowing advertisers to bid on particular keywords. Google presently runs its own PPC Search Engine advertising branch called Google's Adwords Select. Since PPC advertising is so expensive use it in moderation by setting daily and monthly budgets (otherwise for high volume searched keywords you could go broke).
After setting budgets, which you do in the Overture and Google advertising interfaces, use PPC to test your conversion rates for subscribers, sales, etc., and constantly monitor it and fine-tune it. You want to increase your conversation rates. This is critical because as we alluded to the expense of PPC in earlier in this article the typical major ad agency or corporate brand only spends $5 - $15 dollars to reach a thousand people (CPM). Although they may go higher for a responsive direct mail lists like $100 or $150 to reach a thousand people. In PPC advertising small business are usually paying at least 35 cents on the dollar (for any word with any real competition) to reach a thousand people or $350 dollars. I have seen and experienced people paying $2.50 a click or $2250 dollars to reach a thousand people.
The true expense of PPC is never discussed by experts in that industry. Any small business using PPC should have an outstanding product ready for prime time, to see any return in investment. Alternately, they should only use it for limited testing or to get a product quickly to market on-line. Given the expense of PPC some small business people might be better off buying classified direct response advertising in a niche publication or obtaining ad space in ezines.
Another point to discuss in PPC is how the major companies hurt their advertisers (stab them in the back) by using pop-up blockers, which hurts the advertisers ability to collect email addresses on the front end, and with spam filters block even legitimate marketers ability to reach opt-in subscribers on the back end. Google is more of a front end pop-up blocker, AOL is more of an email blocker, while Yahoo is both. There are better ways to stop email and web site spam. What is important is that small business, if it is not careful with PPC could be paying AOL, Google, and Yahoo/Overture to put them out of business.
5. Pay Per Inclusion is paying to be included in the database of a search engine or Internet directory. Presently it is free to be included in the Google search engine. You just need a link to your site from a few other sites already in the Google database and your site will be spidered in many cases. Recently it has been announced Yahoo will charge a fee to update your new content into their search engine database. From what I understand if you are already listed in Yahoo its all well and good, but any new content that you put on your site will not be indexed.
6. Search Terms (AKA Keywords or Keyword Phrases) - Search terms and more specifically keyword phrases are words searchers put in a search box to find information on a particular product, service, or item. Keywords and Keyword phrases have different tiers. For instance the top tier keyword 'business' probably receives 500,000 searches a month. But it is so general that it would not be a good keyword for which to optimize your site. However, the second tier Keyword phrase 'small business' would have less searches, but it is more of a targeted search. The third tier keyword phrases are even more targeted and would be ideal for persons to optimize their sites for although there are less monthly searches for them.
7. Search Engine Algorithm - Algorithms are sets of rules according to which search engines rank web pages. Figuring out the algorithms is a major part of SEO. The thinking is that if you understand how they calculate relevance, you can make specific pages on your site super relevant for specific search terms. For free telecourses and more on algorithms and SEO in general, please check out http://www.searchengineplan.com.
About The Author
Kamau Austin, helps small and minority business make more money, by creating, search friendly web sites. He is the owner of http://www.Ebizbydesign.com, http://www.Einfonews.com, http://www.carolsartshows.com and the creator of the Free Search Engine Promotion Tele-course.
You're Likely Missing Out on Google Traffic. Boost Your SEO with This Budget-Friendly Tool. - Entrepreneur
You're Likely Missing Out on Google Traffic. Boost Your SEO with This Budget-Friendly Tool. Entrepreneur
6 Effective SEO Tips for Beginners BOSS Magazine
5 Key Tools to Improve the SEO Potential of Your Content Social Media Today
5 Best Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Tools Business 2 Community
How to Build & Scale a Program for Global SEO Success Search Engine Journal
Why & How Content Pruning Helps Your SEO Search Engine Journal
Google SEO 101: Page Speed Optimization Search Engine Journal
How is SEM related to SEO? AZ Big Media
SEO for Images: See What You’re Missing in Your Visual Search Strategy Search Engine Journal
Google SEO 101: Mobile-First Indexing Problems Search Engine Journal
You Don't Have to Code to Be Great at SEO Search Engine Journal
Google AMP & SEO: Everything You Need to Know Search Engine Journal
Off-Site SEO: Key Elements & Tactics | Marketing Infographic MarketingProfs.com
SEO Audit Checklist: 9 Page-Level Factors to Assess Search Engine Journal
10 On-Site Technical SEO Factors to Assess in an SEO Audit Search Engine Journal
Common Shopify SEO pitfalls and how to avoid them Search Engine Land
Feedback optimization: A user-first approach to SEO Search Engine Land
The Importance of Geo-Targeting in SEO and Ways to Go About the Process Business 2 Community
Best Wordpress SEO tools in 2020 TechRadar
Google SEO 101: Website Crawl Budget Explained Search Engine Journal
15 Most Common Enterprise SEO Job Requirements Search Engine Journal
Advanced tactics for SEO title tag optimization Search Engine Land
10 Website Content Factors You Must Check During an SEO Audit Search Engine Journal
How to Evaluate Content Length in an SEO Audit Search Engine Journal
Top 7 SEO Tips For 2020 For Business Owners Business 2 Community
How to Improve SEO Agency-Client Communications & Relationships Search Engine Journal
How to Use Heatmaps to Take Your SEO Strategy to the Next Level Search Engine Journal
6 Best Hacks For SEO Managers Business 2 Community
6 Quick SEO Fixes for Website Optimization Business 2 Community
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Tools Market to Remain Competitive | Major Giants Continuously Expanding Market - Bulletin Line
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Tools Market to Remain Competitive | Major Giants Continuously Expanding Market Bulletin Line
SEO Tracker: Admiral commands the casino search results with number one rankings for high volume terms - EGR Global
SEO Tracker: Admiral commands the casino search results with number one rankings for high volume terms EGR Global
Extra Structured Data Could Be Useful for SEO Search Engine Journal
Knowing Google Ranking Factors Help You Do SEO? Search Engine Roundtable
What is SEO Copywriting (and Why it's Important in Ranking Well on Search Engines)? - Business 2 Community
What is SEO Copywriting (and Why it's Important in Ranking Well on Search Engines)? Business 2 Community
How Can I Set Up an SEO Agency? Search Engine Journal
How QA Testing for SEO Can Boost Your Traffic & Revenue Search Engine Journal
Local SEO Tools & Software Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - AlgosOnline
Local SEO Tools & Software Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2025 AlgosOnline
Google’s Splitt: Meta Description Provides Content Summary Search Engine Journal
Virginia Law Firm Marketing Agency Educates On Organic SEO For Attorneys - Press Release - Digital Journal
Virginia Law Firm Marketing Agency Educates On Organic SEO For Attorneys - Press Release Digital Journal
SEO Checklist: The Positive & Negative Signals You Need to Know About [Infographic] - Social Media Today
SEO Checklist: The Positive & Negative Signals You Need to Know About [Infographic] Social Media Today
Can PageRank Predict the NHL Playoffs? Search Engine Journal
All in One SEO Pack Vulnerability - New Exploit Search Engine Journal
Seo Ye-ji gives us wardrobe envy in It’s Okay to Not Be Okay South China Morning Post
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Tools Market 2020 In-Depth Analysis of Industry Share, Size, Growth Outlook up to 2027 - Bulletin Line
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Tools Market 2020 In-Depth Analysis of Industry Share, Size, Growth Outlook up to 2027 Bulletin Line
SEO Testing Service Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2025 | SEOmonitor, WebDepend, TestMatick - Owned
Jake Adelman, Author at Search Engine Journal Search Engine Journal
topseos.com named DMA | Digital Marketing Agency Named Best SEO Company for August 2020 - WFMZ Allentown
topseos.com named DMA | Digital Marketing Agency Named Best SEO Company for August 2020 WFMZ Allentown
PR.com - SEO Freelance Announces Advanced SEO Audit to Help Businesses in This Pandemic - IT News Online
PR.com - SEO Freelance Announces Advanced SEO Audit to Help Businesses in This Pandemic IT News Online
SEO for Growth: The Ultimate Guide for Marketers, Web Designers & Entrepreneurs - Digital Market News
SEO for Growth: The Ultimate Guide for Marketers, Web Designers & Entrepreneurs Digital Market News
Search Engine Optimization SEO Tools Market – A comprehensive study with Key Players| Ahrefs, Google, SEMRush, KWFinder - Owned
Search Engine Optimization SEO Tools Market – A comprehensive study with Key Players| Ahrefs, Google, SEMRush, KWFinder Owned
Watch: Kim Soo Hyun, Seo Ye Ji, And Oh Jung Se Try Out Different Poses For Family Pictures On Set Of “It's Okay To Not Be Okay” - soompi
Watch: Kim Soo Hyun, Seo Ye Ji, And Oh Jung Se Try Out Different Poses For Family Pictures On Set Of “It's Okay To Not Be Okay” soompi
SEO Testing Service- a Market Worth Observing Growth: SEO Tester Online, WebDepend, TestMatick - Owned
SEO Testing Service- a Market Worth Observing Growth: SEO Tester Online, WebDepend, TestMatick Owned
10 Things to look for Before You Hire a Local SEO Agency For Your Business Business 2 Community
Park Seo Joon spreads his arms out to embrace the pleasant day and we cannot stop picturing Shah Rukh Khan - PINKVILLA
Park Seo Joon spreads his arms out to embrace the pleasant day and we cannot stop picturing Shah Rukh Khan PINKVILLA
How to Choose an E-commerce SEO Agency? https://www.indianretailer.com/
SEO: Back To Basics Forbes
Suspects Ki Yon Ahn and Seo Jong Yoo Arraigned on Charges for Filing False Sales Tax Returns - STL.News
Suspects Ki Yon Ahn and Seo Jong Yoo Arraigned on Charges for Filing False Sales Tax Returns STL.News
The 3 Types of SEO Reports You Should Be Building in 2020 Search Engine Journal
SEO: Why It Matters in Today's Market RisMedia.com
10 SEO Tips to Implement in 2020 SmarterCX
How to Overhaul Your SEO Strategy for Just $50 Entrepreneur
It’s Okay to Not Be Okay finale: this week’s top stories South China Morning Post
The 10 Commandments Of SEO Forbes
In uncertain times, jump start your SEO TechCrunch
Growth Analysis of SEO Platforms Market 2020 | Red Spot Interactive, Oracle Marketing Cloud, Moz Pro, ActiveDEMAND, Act-On, Salesforce Marketing Cloud. - Owned
Growth Analysis of SEO Platforms Market 2020 | Red Spot Interactive, Oracle Marketing Cloud, Moz Pro, ActiveDEMAND, Act-On, Salesforce Marketing Cloud. Owned
Design: Making SEO Look Good Forbes
SEO in 2020: What Basics You Need to Know to Be Successful Search Engine Journal
SEO, Content, and Email Work Better Combined Practical Ecommerce
Dont Submit Your Website To Any Search Engines
We all want to get our websites high up in the search enignes but how do you do it? One thing you shouldn't bother doing is submit your site to any search engines. Not Google, not Yahoo!, not AltaVista.
Search Engine Optimization Tip: Dont Buy Anything Before You Learn More!
Thinking about purchasing that premium SEO software that will hyper-optimize a website in under 2 minutes and 2 seconds?Ask the following question first: What do I know about SEO?If the answer is "nothing", then don't buy it.Marketers are banking on the lack of knowledge among consumers.
The Myth of Guaranteed #1 Ranking in Search Engine Marketing
You've seen the ads: Guaranteed #1 Ranking! There are no guarantees in search engine marketing and website promotion. If anyone tells you different, you should check quickly to make sure they don't have their hand in your wallet.
The Changing Face of Search Engine Optimization
With the ever evolving internet market for just about anything you can imagine and Google's index growing to almost 9 billion pages, and counting, there is little dispute amongst search engine optimizers that our job is getting much harder. From linking to articles, and density to ontology, our industry changes as fast as any other.
Absolute & Relative Links How Do They Rank?
The question for this article is whether or not you should use "absolute url's" or "relative url's"? Not only that, this article researches whether or not Google ranks these methods differently.Absolute: You use the entire url pointing to the designated page.
The Best 7 Steps To Get A Top Google Ranking Guaranteed
Google returns more search results then any other search engine. Clearly if you can get a Top Ranking in Google you will drive highly targeted traffic to your web page.
Why Fear? Now Change Your Filenames Without Disturbing Search Engines/Visitors And Rank Well
By now, you know that to rank well in the Search Engines, you need to have the keyword in your URL's directory name and filename, if not in the domain name as well.So, if you want to target a keyword, say, 'Woolen Socks', the best way to do it is (a) to have a domain name that contains the word 'woolen socks' in it (like: BuyWoolenSocks.
Cache in the Bank: Understanding Googles Advanced Operators
If you would like to know when your site was last indexed by Google, you can find out easily by using the Google cache command. By typing "cache:www.
Work With The Search Engines - Dont try to Outsmart the Search Engines
Contrary to the claims of high-priced SEO firms, optimizing your web site for search engines is not brain surgery. But you must first accept the fact that "spiders" - the search engine programs that read web pages - run away from non-HTML code.
Five and a Half Ways to Amp Up Your Search Engine Optimization
Statistics show that 85% of pages visited on the Internet come from people who have gotten there from a search engine. Statistically, people look first at the top of the first page of the regular search results, then the bottom, and then they go to the sponsored listings.
How To Design A Search Engine Friendly Website
There are many websites that fail to target their required traffic, even if they've had some search engine optimisation work done. One of the main causes for this is simply because the website isn't search engine friendly.
7 Search Engine Optimization Mistakes and Solutions
To many websites, webmasters discover that major sources of website traffic come from search engines. Therefore, they are all keen on gaining top search engine placements through search engine optimization.
What are the Benefits Of Submitting To Directories?
Increasing your web traffic and rank in search engines is probably one of your major goals, at least as far as your online business is concerned. One great way to increase your traffic and weight in the search engines is to submit to directories.
6 Ways To Attract Search Engines To Your Website More Often
Adding fresh, updated content to your website is the surest way to get search engines engines to spider your site more often. Search engines are known to index sites updated on a regular basis more frequently.
Getting Your Site Seen By Search Engines
Is your website listed on search engines? When people search for you, does your site show up on page 1 or page 20 of the search engine results?Optimizing your site to get it ranked highly on the search engines can be a complicated subject. To simplify things, it's helpful to first understand how search engines add sites to their database.
King + Queen = Royal Success
Ever wonder how or why your competitor gets better search engine rankings than you do? Does he know something you don't? Well, maybe he actually does?And that's where I come in. I'm here to unveil the secret tricks of the trade that may be giving your competitor that much-needed edge in search engine rankings and to show you how you can reclaim your position without skipping a beat.
Google vs. Yahoo -- How To Rank High On Each One
Google likes incoming links, especially links from high-ranking, on-topic pages that include keywords in the link text. Google doesn't like over-optimized, high keyword densities and over use of keywords in headings, etc.
Google Local Search And The Impact On Natural Optimization
With the advent of Google Local, a service that helps Web users find local businesses by typing in a search term and a city name, many questions arise concerning its impact on Natural Optimization.Google Local tracks down local stores and businesses by searching billions of pages across the Web, and then cross-checking these findings with Yellow Pages information to locate the local resources Web users wish to access.
How To Stay One Step Ahead of the Google Dance
It's taken you 6-months of hard work, constant changes, reading every shred of information on search engine optimization strategy not to mention thousands of dollars trying out web optimization tools and services.Finally, you have a page rank of 5, you are listed in the top 10 on your major keywords, and you are seeing the benefit - some decent traffic from Google and other search engines.
History of World / Regional Search Engines and Directories
Computers have become a way of life for people around the world. They are used to research term papers, check weather forecasts, track military progress, exchange ideas (blogs and chat) and to find the cheapest price on items etc.
|home | site map|