The 7 Points of Do-It-Yourself SEO
Ever felt intimidated at the convoluted, jargon-ridden information about Internet marketing for small businesses available on the Net? Ever been horrified by the huge fees the experts charge, putting search engine optimization beyond your own means? Ever thought: What exactly is search engine optimization anyway, and can I do it myself?
The answer is: Yes, you can! The basics of search engine optimisation in applied web marketing are simple. It's all to do with the keyword content of your text copy, and can be summarised in seven points.
1. Register a good domain name which reflects what your site is about. Even if you are an established business, don't register www.FredJones.com if you make widgets. Rather, you want to register something like www.BestWidgets.com because that would inspire confidence in people looking for quality widgets who would not necessarily have heard of Fred Jones the widget-maker.
2. Name your page URLs based on reasons similar to the above for your web promotion, except now you can be more specific. Search engines like to know what your page is about. Name a page after a product (BigYellowWidgets.htm) or a service or action (Buy-Widgets-by-Post.htm) on one of the sales pages.
3. The text in the title tag is crucial in letting search engines know what each page is about. Put your important keywords in your title tags, using both the singular and plural versions (people will search for both) and make these tags different and specific for each page. For example, "Widgets and After Sales Widget Services". Whatever you do, don't call the home page "Index", but treat it almost as a mini-description.
4. The other tags (at the top of the html page) between the two "HEAD" tags are not as important as the title tag, but the description tag is still used by some search engines in displaying what you would like web users to see when they scroll down a page of search results. Some search engines don't use the description tag at all; others, like Google, sometimes use part of it together with part of the main body text surrounding prominent keywords on your page. So you may as well treat the description tag seriously; make it brief (about 25 to 30 words) and as comprehensive as possible in the short space allowed. Make sure you have your popular keywords included within your description tag. The ALT tag is used for a very short description of an image or graphic file, and is what is displayed if you allow your mouse pointer to hover above a graphic. These days it is not considered important for search engines. The COMMENT tag is never displayed on the body page, and is used by coders and designers as an instruction or reminder to themselves about what that section of html coding should be doing; in the past, some webmasters in their quest for website promotion and search engine ranking used to stuff keywords in the comments tags, but now it is generally acknowledged that the main search engines pay little or no attention to these.
5. Keyword density. Each search engine has its own preference as to how many times a keyword phrase appears on the page in order to signify the relevance of that keyword phrase (in other words, in order to help the search engine understand what the page is about). Around 5 to 8 per cent is a rough guide as to the optimal level. Don't overdo it, otherwise it will be seen as spam or keyword-stuffing. Also use your keywords in the headings tags H1 and H2. There is an H3 tag as well, but it is doubtful whether search engines bother with that, as it is perceived as less prominent on the page, therefore less relevant to what the page is about.
6. Don't forget good linking in your website marketing. Search engines will judge the importance of your web pages to some extent on the number and quality of incoming links from other sites. Ask other webmasters with sites on similar themes to yours for a link, in exchange for a link back. These sites should not be in competition with yours, but should be similarly themed. You may occasionally be asked by other webmasters if they can link to your site. If this is so then have a look at their site; make sure that their site is relevant, that it has at least some Page Rank, and that it just "feels" good, and has no nasty surprises like redirects or unexpected popups. You don't want to be associated with a "bad neighborhood"!
7. Make sure that important keywords are included in the anchor text within inbound links from other sites. This is crucial to search engines when they try to figure out the relevance and importance of your pages. The inbound link from the other site should take the form of something like this (I'm using normal brackets instead of angle brackets so as not to use compromising html): (A HREF="http://www.Yoursite.com")your important keywords included here(/A). You should definitely avoid something like (A HREF="http://www.Yoursite.com")click here(/A), which tells search engines nothing except that your site is about "click here". Be careful!
Gordon Goodfellow is an Internet marketing consultant and practitioner He lives and Works in London, UK, and has helped companies in many industry sectors with clients worldwide. His main site, http://www.applied-web-marketing.com is an introductory resource on Internet marketing for small businesses.
12 Ways to Build a Winning SEO Strategy on a Small Budget Search Engine Journal
Is SEO dead? - VENTS Magazine
How to Make SEO Happen in 2020 Practical Ecommerce
How to Create a Superior SEO Strategy Business.com
Coaching SEO To Win Forbes
Video: Jeff Selig on the early days of SEO, Google algorithms & international SEO - Search Engine Land
Video: Jeff Selig on the early days of SEO, Google algorithms & international SEO Search Engine Land
SEO myths busted by an ex-Googler Search Engine Land
SEO Keyword Research: 13 of the Biggest Mistakes You MUST Avoid Search Engine Journal
Why SEO is an Essential Puzzle of Digital Marketing Business 2 Community
The Role of Structured Data in SEO Success MarTech Advisor
SEO Is Everyone’s Responsibility: 5 Tips to Get Non-SEOs Bought Into SEO Search Engine Journal
8 Tried & Tested Tips for Improving SEO & Developer Relations Search Engine Journal
Google’s John Mueller: Never Blindly Follow Big Sites’ SEO Search Engine Journal
Why Amazon success requires a holistic approach to SEO and advertising DigitalCommerce360
How to Monitor SEO Topic Clusters, Silos Practical Ecommerce
3 Ways to Bridge the Gap Between SEO and PPC Business 2 Community
SEM vs. SEO vs. PPC Defined: What’s the Difference? Search Engine Journal
How Does SEO Work? JumpFly PPC Advertising News
Reciprocal Links: Do They Help or Hurt Your SEO? Search Engine Journal
Local SEO Strategy Guide: How to Rank Where It Counts Search Engine Journal
TripAdvisor Buys SinglePlatform For $51M From ConstantContact To Offset Google's SEO Roadblocks 12/09/2019 - MediaPost Communications
TripAdvisor Buys SinglePlatform For $51M From ConstantContact To Offset Google's SEO Roadblocks 12/09/2019 MediaPost Communications
Elevating Women in SEO: The Industry Still Has a Long Way to Go Search Engine Journal
Managing Successful SEO Migrations Search Engine Journal
What is Data Driven SEO? GISuser.com
Basic SEO Tips Any Content Writer Should Know Business 2 Community
Here’s Why Inclusive Web Design with SEO Wins 2020 Search Engine Journal
10 SEO factors that influence your Google ranking Eastbourne Herald
How Google's BERT Works In SEO Business 2 Community
The 8 Benefits of SEO for Ecommerce Practical Ecommerce
Why SEO is Important for Your Business Business 2 Community
How to Write SEO Proposals That Prove Your Value & Eliminate Client Concerns - Search Engine Journal
How to Write SEO Proposals That Prove Your Value & Eliminate Client Concerns Search Engine Journal
Google search results eye candy: How users navigate search features and what it means for SEO - Search Engine Land
Google search results eye candy: How users navigate search features and what it means for SEO Search Engine Land
June-seo cruises to glory at Speed Skating World Cup Eurosport.com
30+ SEO Stats from 2019 to Guide Your Strategy in 2020 and Beyond [Infographic] - Social Media Today
How to Create a Digital Marketing Ecosystem that Boost Conversion from All Sides? - Business 2 Community
How to Create a Digital Marketing Ecosystem that Boost Conversion from All Sides? Business 2 Community
Could Blogging Boost Your Ecommerce SEO? Practical Ecommerce
Trend-Watcher: 6 New Ways to Do SEO in 2020 Business 2 Community
Podcasts & SEO: How to Make Your Podcast SEO-Friendly Search Engine Journal
The Most Effective Link-Building Strategies According to SEO Experts MarketingProfs.com
VLCC awards social media and SEO duties to Imarti Media Best Media Info
How to Conduct Dental SEO for Last Quarter 2019 Promotion World
Sr. Manager, SEO job with NBCUniversal, Inc. | 407143 mediabistro.com
SEO Specialist job with Creative Circle | 406576 mediabistro.com
Poll: After The SEO Audit; Next Steps Search Engine Roundtable
SEO is Fast Becoming an Integral Part of Businesses Today London Daily Post
Business, Healthcare, Industry Latest News, Updated News, Latest trending News - Market Report Gazette
Business, Healthcare, Industry Latest News, Updated News, Latest trending News Market Report Gazette
SEO First Celebrates 15 Years in Business – Commerce Gazette Commerce Gazette
Focus More Or Local SEO To Increase Local Engagement Promotion World
Hometown of popular football coach Park Hang-seo pushes to create Vietnam-style village - Viet Nam News
Hometown of popular football coach Park Hang-seo pushes to create Vietnam-style village Viet Nam News
What Does It Mean to ‘Do SEO’? Search Engine Journal
The Best Free SEO Tools to Increase Your Rankings Entrepreneur
7 SEO best practices you should be doing regardless of what Google says Search Engine Land
6 SEO Tips to Benefit Any Business Entrepreneur
6 Brilliant Reasons Why You Should Use SEO Tools Search Engine Journal
My experience with SEO Practical Ecommerce
5 Metrics Crucial to SEO Success PR News - For Smart Communicators
What's the Value of SEO? Practical Ecommerce
Can SEO Be Made Predictable? Search Engine Journal
Ongoing Education: Your Secret to SEO Success Search Engine Journal
Start An SEO Agency in 2020 – Rank Daddy TV Launches YouTube Video That Explains How To Start An SEO Agency - Press Release - Digital Journal
Start An SEO Agency in 2020 – Rank Daddy TV Launches YouTube Video That Explains How To Start An SEO Agency - Press Release Digital Journal
5 On-Site SEO Factors That Matter Most Search Engine Journal
5 Easy SEO Wins with Powerful Results Search Engine Journal
7 Basic SEO Best Practices You Can Learn from Huge Travel Brands Search Engine Journal
7 Ways to Improve Your Website's SEO Business.com
Ahn Jae Hyun, Oh Yeon Seo, And Goo Won Become Tangled In A Love Triangle In “Love With Flaws” - soompi
Ahn Jae Hyun, Oh Yeon Seo, And Goo Won Become Tangled In A Love Triangle In “Love With Flaws” soompi
Is SEO Really Complex or Are We Overcomplicating It? Search Engine Journal
7 Best SEO Tools to Help You Rank Higher in Google Entrepreneur
10 Ebooks About SEO You Should Download & Read Now Search Engine Journal
What Entrepreneurs Should Know About SEO Business.com
7 Reasons Why SEO Matters for Every Startup Entrepreneur
How to Avoid SEO Misinformation Search Engine Journal
Keep Your Web Site Content Relevant
Visitors and search engines love content-rich web sites, but just having a lot of content on your web site is not enough. It all has to be relevant to a main topic with each page or section of the web site having a specific theme (And yes, this includes any resource or links pages the site may have).
Optimze Your Web Site on a Shoe String Budget
Let me start off by saying I'm not a marketing guru or work for a fortune 500 advertising company. I don't even have a marketing background.
Good Content: The Key To Search Engine Ranking
Good Content: The Key To Search Engine RankingWhat drives visitors to your website and keeps them there? Good content.Content is KeyGood content is key to website promotion success.
Paris Hiltons Reputation is SHOT! Hows Yours?
With apologies for the cheap trick of mentioning Paris Hilton to get your attention, coming to grips with the idea you're about to discover is critically important to your success with search engines!Because while it's true that there are many factors that determine how well a page ranks in Google - did you know that one stands out above the rest? It's link text. (Also known as anchor text?)So much so, link text can be the deciding factor when chasing top rankings for extremely competitive keywords.
Guide to Search Engine Optimization
What is Search Engine Optimization?Search Engine Optimization or SEO for short is modification done in the web site design, coding, content and/or structure of a web site in an effort to achieve the higher ranking within search engines. Search Engine Optimization are done to attend the highest ranking in the search engine results for some targeted keywords or key phrases.
Do It Yourself SEO
Internet surfers use search engines more than any other tool to find things online. Search engines rank their results using a complex formula that considers web page content, link popularity and other details.
Effective Search Engine Use
The Internet is a wonderful place full of resources that can be really helpful for us.The best way for finding information is through a virtual search engine.
Search Engine Optimisation - Getting Targeted Traffic
Getting SEO right is an art and it's based on theory and best practice. The search engines don't publish their algorithms so getting it right is like finding the exact formula for Coca Cola.
Do-It-Yourself Keyword Optimization
The first step in a search engine optimization campaign is to choose your keywords or keyphrases for each of your web pages. Keywords are the terms that search engine users type in the search box to conduct a query.
Search Engine Ranking... Oh, the Mystery!
Rankings, Rankings, Rankings!How do you get your website ranked well by the search engines? Well, it isn't as hard as you think, but it may not be as simple either. It takes patience and an ongoing commitment to making search-engine ranking a long-term investment in your website.
Going To Market: Keywords and Backlinks, Part 1
As I waded into the 'Make Money Online' waters on the Internet, I felt I needed to do some research on what keywords might help me generate traffic for my websites. I am very, very new to this whole Internet marketing arena but at the simplest level it seems that the keys to generating income are:Blog >>> Choose Target Keywords >>> Write Articles Incorporating Keywords >>> Create New Pages For Articles >>> Link Article Pages To Blog >>> Link Article Pages To Each Other >>> Populate All Pages with PPC Links >>> Submit Articles To Outlets >>> Submit All Pages To Search EnginesDid I say it was simple? As I said, I am new to this area so there may be a step or two (or 5, or 10, etc.
Google, Yahoo! and MSN Line up More Goodies for Internet Users
Internet users have never had it better what with Yahoo!, Google and MSN planning to roll out more goodies. Yahoo! is launching its Yahoo! 360 and Google has already made its beta version of the Desktop Search tool widely available for anyone to download it for free to enable one to search e-mails, book marked web pages, or content from your desktop with the use of keywords in the stored Microsoft Word or PDF files.
Optimum SEO Keyword Density - A Real-Life Case Study
So you've built your website, you know what keywords you want to target (i.e.
Optimizing Your Website
Search Engine Optimization, optimizing your website for it to be visible in the search results of a search engine's query or in a search result of a directory.Basically, SEO is a marketing strategy for your site.
Search Engine Optimization for Beginners
If you are confused about terms like "search engine optimization" or having a "search engine friendly" site, then listen up! I am here to help.Depending on how long you have had, or considered having, a website online, you have heard terms thrown around like the above or even worse, acronyms! SEO comes to mind.
Answers Count - Matching Keyword and Phrase Density
What's more important to your business success - the question or the answer? Certainly, you want your questions to reflect what you are trying to find out. Obviously, your questions should be easily understood.
Get Personal With Google
Anyone who's been on the net any time at all knows that Google has been the search engine of choice for many for a while now. Whether that continues remains to be seen, but for now, with MSN still in development and Yahoo going through some growing pains, many still feel that Google is the leader.
Analyzing Googles Backlinks Is Close To Worthless
The Power of Topic Specific Search
What are Topical Search Engines?Simply put, topical search engines are search engines focused on a specific industry, sector or topic.While many marketers are scrambling for links, any links, an area that is often overlooked is topic-specific search engines.
Wordtracker Wisdom: Common Keyword Questions and Answers
One of my favorite subjects to teach on at our live SEO Mastery Workshops is that of keyword research and the behavior of a specific target audience using my all time favorite research tool, Wordtracker.For those who have not heard of, Wordtracker it is a Web based service that will help you discover which keywords and phrases will be most effective for attracting the right audience to your Web site.
|home | site map|