SEO For Ecommerce
Ranking well under the free listings in the major search engines basically mean one thing - Lots of free, recurring, and targeted traffic. Major search engines like Google, Yahoo and MSN can be very powerful weapons in your internet marketing, if you know how to optimize your website to rank highly for your keywords. This article will focus on how you can optimize your website to rank on the top positions in search engines.
Getting listed on search engines is one thing, optimizing for top rankings is a totally different thing altogether. If you type in any keyword, the results shown may run into the millions of pages. Visitors would normally focus their attention on the first page of their search results, and few would browse to more than the first three pages. It is thus crucial to rank your website on the first page for your target keywords, or visitors would not find your site at all.
The three major search engines you should focus on are Google, Yahoo and MSN. Together, these search engines constitute more than 90% of the searches done online. With an audience reach of more than 50% of the internet community, Google is, by far, the most powerful search engine for free listings. Because its results are completely determined by algorithms, its listings are totally unbiased and 'pure'. Other search engines may contain sponsored listings as well as free listings. Thus, visitors are likely to go straight to Google when looking for 'pure' search results, and this is the search engine you should focus on for optimization.
Note that since Google changes its algorithm very frequently, you have to continually keep updated on the latest changes to the search engine industry to keep your site on the top of search engines.
Search engine optimization (especially for Google) basically comprises of two factors: on-page optimization and off-page optimization. On-page optimization involves the manipulation of page components like titles, content and text links, to rank well for Google. Off-page optimization involves getting more links from other websites directed to your website.
On-page optimization. There are several on-page ranking factors for your website:
1) Title tag. When giving your website your title, you should include only your main keywords. The title must also be as concise and short as possible, and not include many redundant words. Do not include words like 'and', you can instead use symbols like a 'dash' to separate your title words. Fewer unnecessary words would give each of the other title keywords greater weight, and thus a higher ranking for your site.
2) Good content. All search engines base their search results on the content you have on your webpages, and how well they relate to the keywords you want to optimize your website for. It is best if you write your website content on your own to prevent copyright violations, and to be able to control exactly the content you want to place on your website. Search engine spiders like Googlebot also determine your ranking based on the keyword density on your website. Keyword density is the ratio of the number of times that your keywords appear throughout your content to the total number of words. When writing the content, you should place your keywords evenly throughout your content. Use your keyword once in every one to two paragraphs, and also once in the first and last paragraphs.
3) Header tags. The Header 1 tags of your website should include your main keywords, and the Header 2 tags should include your secondary keywords.
4) Bolding and Italicizing. Whenever possible, you can bold or italicize your keywords throughout your content, as search engines to place greater weight on bold or italic words.
Off-page optimization. Off-page ranking factors are really what make a HUGE difference to your rankings, and search engines like Google may place up to 90% of their emphasis on off-page factors. They can mean a difference between ranked in the thousands, or on the first page. From this you can see the great importance of focusing on off-page optimization. The off-page factors are:
1) The number of websites linking to your website. Commonly known as 'link popularity', this is one of the prime factors that determine your ranking on search engines. Link popularity is the measure of the number of websites linking to your website, and search engines like Google place strong emphasis on it, because more backlinks to your website generally means that your website is a better or more important resource for people. Thus, as far as possible, try to secure as many links from as many websites as possible. The most common method is to write personal emails to webmasters to ask for their link to your website, and provide a reciprocal link back to their website if they require it. This is where your website content plays an important role as well. If your website is full of informative content and resources, then webmasters would be more than happy to link to your website, as their visitors would also benefit from your useful content.
You can also join link exchange communities like http://www.linkmetro.com. Such communities list many websites willing to exchange links with others. This free services only require you to provide a reciprocal link back to the website you are exchanging links with, in return.
2) The relevancy of the websites linking to your website. Search engines rank highly those websites with many relevant websites linking to them. The higher the number of relevant websites linking to your website, the higher your search engine rankings will be. It would not help your search engine rankings much if you have hundreds of unrelated websites linking to yours, but they may still boost your rankings a little because these are still considered valid links from many different websites. However, as far as possible, try to solicit links from relevant websites instead of non-relevant ones.
3) The importance of the websites linking to your website. Google measures the importance of websites with their PageRank (PR) system. It is a scale ranging from 1 to 10. Pages with very high importance are given a very high PR, and vice versa. The scale is exponential, which means that it gets increasingly harder to increase your PR. If a website with very high PR links to your website, that shows that their webmaster places a high value on your website, and your site has content worthy to be shown to their visitors. This will, in turn, give your webpage a higher PR. For example, if a website of PR 6 links to you, then your PR may rise from 1 to maybe 2 or 3. Thus, in addition to a higher PR, higher search engine results are also attained if many websites with high PR link to yours.
If you have a new website that has not been indexed in Google yet, then you should try to get links from high PR websites. Some experts claim that if you have many high PR websites linking to yours, your website would be indexed in Google automatically, even without using the Search Engine Submission Form.
4) The anchor text of the link pointing to your website. Links pointing to your website should have your main keywords in the link. For example, if you want to rank well for 'search engine optimization', then the link pointing to your website should read 'search engine optimization', and not other unrelated words.
5) The IP addresses of the websites linking to your website. Whenever possible, you should get links from many different websites, instead of links on many pages from the same website. Same websites would show the same IP address, and Google prefers many links located on different IP addresses.
Although this article focuses mainly on Google, the optimization techniques also apply well for Yahoo and MSN. That is why you find that websites of high popularity can be found among the first pages of most major search engines. Remember to place more emphasis on off-page optimization than on-page optimization. Your website would be well optimized for most search engines if you follow the guides on this article.
*You are welcome to reprint this article as long as you include the Author's resource box with the article.
About the Author: Ray Yee is the founder and president of Dropshipperscentral, a website which provides a wealth of informative articles, tips and resources on everything you'll ever need to know about setting up a Drop Ship Business and marketing it.
SEO myths busted by an ex-Googler Search Engine Land
SEO Is Everyone’s Responsibility: 5 Tips to Get Non-SEOs Bought Into SEO Search Engine Journal
Elevating Women in SEO: The Industry Still Has a Long Way to Go Search Engine Journal
A framework for SEO success with structured data Search Engine Land
Here’s Why Inclusive Web Design with SEO Wins 2020 Search Engine Journal
SEO Keyword Research: 13 of the Biggest Mistakes You MUST Avoid Search Engine Journal
The Future of SEO: What SEO & Marketing Pros Need to Understand Search Engine Journal
SEM vs. SEO vs. PPC Defined: What’s the Difference? Search Engine Journal
Here’s how to leverage long-tail keywords for your SEO Search Engine Land
Ongoing Education: Your Secret to SEO Success Search Engine Journal
How UX Complements SEO to Improve Conversion Strategy Business 2 Community
Real-Time Insight & Real-Time Action in SEO: How Automation Bridges the Gap Search Engine Journal
A 50-Point Audit for Getting Started with Local SEO Search Engine Journal
Google’s Baby Algorithms: How to Think About Them for SEO Search Engine Journal
Trend-Watcher: 6 New Ways to Do SEO in 2020 Business 2 Community
What is SEO? businessjournaldaily.com
Google Launches New, Animated Video Series About SEO for Beginners Search Engine Journal
Three Off-Site Tactics That Seriously Boost SEO Traffic MarketingProfs.com
Let's Untangle the Knotty Mystery of SEO Radio World
How to find your ideal SEO agency Search Engine Land
SEO best practices support ADA compliance for digital accessibility Search Engine Land
Google’s John Mueller Speaks on SEO for Dark Mode Websites Search Engine Journal
5 SEO Tips to Optimize Your Next Blog Post Business 2 Community
The Lowdown on SEO This Year (infographic) Digital Information World
5 Free Keyword Research Tools for SEO & PPC JumpFly PPC Advertising News
TF-IDF: Can It Really Help Your SEO? Search Engine Journal
5 SEO Trends to Help Marketing Leaders Prepare for 2019 The African Exponent
How to Write SEO-Friendly Content in 2020 - VENTS Magazine
Redefining SEO in the Age of Digital Transformation Destination CRM
Why the University of Arizona changed its abbreviation for SEO Search Engine Land
Tesla Solar: Is Google SEO the Only Issue? Market Realist
Video: Eric Enge on Google advice vs. real-world SEO experience Search Engine Land
For SEO, How Fast Is Fast Enough? Practical Ecommerce
Recovery From November 2019 Google Update Search Engine Journal
Benchmarking Beyond SEO: What Competitors' Website Traffic Can Reveal Search Engine Journal
How to Boost SEO for Coworking Spaces Commercial Property Executive
Screaming Frog releases SEO Spider version 12.0 Search Engine Land
University of Arizona switches from UA to UArizona for SEO The Associated Press
11 Tools to Use for Your YouTube SEO Business 2 Community
SEO: Google's BERT Update Helps Ecommerce Product Pages Practical Ecommerce
Why Discoverability Needs to Be an SEO Focus with Garrett Mehrguth [PODCAST] - Search Engine Journal
Why Discoverability Needs to Be an SEO Focus with Garrett Mehrguth [PODCAST] Search Engine Journal
Link Building for 2020: What Works and What to Avoid MarTech Advisor
Barry Schwartz on Covering SEO News, Productivity & How to Grow a Business [PODCAST] - Search Engine Journal
Barry Schwartz on Covering SEO News, Productivity & How to Grow a Business [PODCAST] Search Engine Journal
Travel SEO: 8 Ways to Build Links & Get Press as a Travel Brand Search Engine Journal
An Introduction to Python for Technical SEO Search Engine Journal
How to find cheap & affordable SEO services Business MattersBusiness Matters
Could Blogging Boost Your Ecommerce SEO? Practical Ecommerce
GoodFirms Unlocks the Most Trustworthy Digital Marketing and SEO Companies for November 2019 - MarTech Series
GoodFirms Unlocks the Most Trustworthy Digital Marketing and SEO Companies for November 2019 MarTech Series
How Google's BERT SEO Update Will Impact Content and Search PR News - For Smart Communicators
SEO 2020: Top 15 Google Page Ranking Factors hypebot.com
Pro Rank Tracker Launches Lite Tool Rankitor, with Plans Starting at $5 Search Engine Journal
The psychology of SEO on Brains Byte Back The Sociable
5 SEO suggestions to market your food truck | Commentary Food Truck Operator
Baidu SEO: Content Delivery, Speed & Accessibility Search Engine Journal
10 Best SEO Podcasts to Master the Art of SEO 99Signals - Tech News, Tech Hacks, & More
5 DIY SEO Tips That Your Small Business Needs Business.com
Google BERT Update – What it Means Search Engine Journal
Is It Time to Rethink Corporate Websites — Again? MarTech Advisor
Video: Eric Enge on building and selling his SEO agency Search Engine Land
SEO Specialist job with Creative Circle | 406576 mediabistro.com
Creative & SEO Copywriter, Penguin General - London The Bookseller
Expedia Suffers Major Decline, Blames the Changing SEO Landscape Business Deccan
Park Hang-seo Receives AFF Coach of the Year Award KBS WORLD Radio News
Get the mega SEO and digital marketing bundle for 97% off Android Authority
Lee Na Young, Park Seo Joon, Lee Jin Wook, And Jung Hae In Attend Donation Event For Warmer Winter - soompi
Lee Na Young, Park Seo Joon, Lee Jin Wook, And Jung Hae In Attend Donation Event For Warmer Winter soompi
What Does It Mean to ‘Do SEO’? Search Engine Journal
The Best Free SEO Tools to Increase Your Rankings Entrepreneur
Should you do 100% of your SEO in-house? Search Engine Land
25+ Unique Blog Post Ideas to Engage Your Readers Search Engine Journal
My experience with SEO Practical Ecommerce
7 SEO best practices you should be doing regardless of what Google says Search Engine Land
Can SEO Be Made Predictable? Search Engine Journal
Free Longtail tool offers better SEO The Australian
The SEO Gurus poem
Am I alone as I survey that vast wilderness outside,Sat at home every day fettered by my own foolish pride,I may believe I can conceive stunning cunning plans,Yet I perceive the web I weave is lacking vital strands,It may transpire my destiny is to conquer virtual space,But I must wire the best of me to another spidery face,For although knowing everything about business and site,To grow means throwing other experts in to get it right,So even this experienced spider who spins webs so fine,Needs for bliss a guider to show the whole world online,His creation, born bred and reared , now standing serene,Will evoke elation and be revered if it can only be seen,There's no point in Picasso no mike in Michelangelo,If the joints a no go and the sound man doesn't show,So that treasure you're concealing from total global view,Measures up and has meaning with others helping you,We all have inborn talent and also inborn failings,So often scorn a balance, chained to our own railings,And our world misses a website that deserved to be a star,But not unfurled in all its might, merely cowering from afar,Why not take your Van Dyke, or Rembrandt seen by few,And let us make it see the light, exposed to global view,Don't hide them in shadows behind barriers of your mind,Where pride and jealous arrows make them hard to find,Instead turn to experts just as good as you would like to be,Who you'll learn to trust, and who will set your website free.John Fowler trained as a Mathematican and has worked in the IT industry for over 30 years, much of the time in sales related functions.
The Two Most Important Things You Must Do For Google Top Ranking
Attaining a top ranking in Goggle or any other major search engine nowadays is a herculean task indeed. But webmasters are archieving this enviable position continuously.
What is Google Talk ?
The advent of Internet has affected lives of almost the entire world and websites, e-mails and chating on net none need any introduction even for young kids. There is an outpour of websites throughout the Internet all offering numerous services to attract the potential visitors online.
Why Search Engine Optimization is Not Enough
OK. So you've created a nice website with lots of interesting products and information.
How To Choose Keywords Before they Skyrocket in Popularity
Long before the days of researching phrases with the helpful online resources of today, the art of keyword/phrase selection was often left just to guesswork. However, guesswork by today's highly competitive standards is just not good enough.
Here Today Gone Tomorrow
Its a matter of here today, gone tomorrow at the moment with Google so don't get complacent if you are on the first few pages of the searches. Its great, you are making money and think now you can relax and forget about it for a while.
LSI and Link Popularity
When Paypal's official Web site no longer ranked #1 in Google on a search for "paypal," it was obvious that Google had become more aggressive in penalizing sites with "unnatural" backlink anchor text. Although the high-profile Paypal example has since been rectified, thousands of webmasters are suffering the consequences of not ranking for even their official company name, let alone their top keywords.
When SEO Takes the Value out of a Website
Every webmaster would like to see his/her website to be the number 1 search result returned in search engines. A number 1 spot in Google pretty much guarantees loads of traffic to a website which can then materialize in high revenue for the website owner.
Search Engine Visibility - The Mantra of Corporate Profitability
The corporate fundamentals are par excellence! The product is unsurpassable and the website is a web designer's dream in creativity and design - but there is a vacuum - of potential online customers! - The website lacks the basic ingredient of success - Search Engine Visibility! - which is what search engine optimization is all about.Increasing the search engine visibility is vital to any online business.
Rock Your Rank With a Dynamite Text Link - Yahoo Directory Explodes Rankings
Last week a client called me excitedly exclaiming that their Google PageRank had jumped a notch and their targeted keyword term now ranked #23 (up from #45) for their competitive search phrase. I asked the client if he'd been notified by Yahoo that his site was now included in the index after we had submitted it three weeks ago.
All about SEO or SFO?
First let's start with definitions:SEO: Search Engine Optimization, SFO: Search Friendly Optimization.These two things are what most webmasters have trouble balancing.
Is Page Not Found Making Google Tell The World Site Not Found?
Search Engines are hard to tame, that's for sure. But if you can get on their good side, search can be your biggest ally when it comes to generating tons of free traffic to your business web site.
Search Engines from a Webmaster Perspective
By now, virtually every webmaster has heard or read that the major search engines are responsible for 80% or more of the traffic received by most web sites and that most searchers never look beyond the first 20 - 50 search results. Not surprisingly, an entire industry devoted to search engine ranking and search engine optimization (SEO) has sprung up to capitalize on these well known facts.
PageRank and How It Gets Assigned
We know that each and every website page is assigned a Google Page rank, based upon a mathematical algorithm. Pages rank on a scale of 0 (zero) the lowest, and 10 (ten) the highest.
Expert Help From Google Answers
Web users turn to search engines for answers to their questions. This is usually done through various levels of searching the engine's database.
The Secret Benefit Of Search Engine Optimisation: Increased Usability
A higher search ranking is what many website owners dream of. What they don't realise is that by optimising their site for the search engines, if done correctly, they can also optimise it for their site visitors.
Pay-per-click - the Ultimate Tool to Boost Affiliate Sales
The old ways are not always the best ways.The traditional model of making money from affiliate products was simple.
Getting Noticed by Search Engines
We all, meaning us webmasters want to have the best and top-rated website. But how do we get there? We start linking and submitting.
Are You Making These Deadly SEO Mistakes?
Black Hat SEO: Web Spamming and Linking to Bad NeighborhoodsSo you want to exchange links with other web sites in order to get higher search engine rankings?So you want to create hundreds of auto-generated, keyword rich pages for your site?Before you go and link to every website that is willing to exchange links, it would be a good idea to know where not to link to. Sometimes it can mean not linking to your own sites.
Choosing a good domain name isnt always so simple.
So you need a domain name for your brand new internet business. You may even have some cool ideas for a new domain name combination that will really impress your friends.
|home | site map|