Is Something Missing From Your Keywords Research? (Part 2)
In my previous article, I raised the issue that proper keyword research must take into account countries. The reason for that was that the demand for keywords can vary between countries. I gave examples of that fact using the Overture keyword tool.
To support my argument (that we need to be aware of countries when doing keyword research), I gave 2 reasons:
1. it will help us determine which countr(y/ies) to target, and
2. it will help us know what countr(y/ies) our visitors are most likely to come from.
I would like, in this article, to expand on these 2 reasons. I would also like to add further reasons why any keyword research must be country based.
1. When doing keyword research, we need to understand the limitations of our research. This is necessary in order to remove any assumptions we make about our findings. For example, if you find that the demand for a keyword is very high in the US, you cannot assume that the demand for that same keyword will also be vey high in other countries. You will only know for sure how much demand there is worldwide by doing country specific keyword research. Such research can be done using a tool such as the Overture keyword tool,
2. It will tell you where your visitors are most likely to come from. This in turn will tell you what features you need to add to your web site. For example, if you are targeting a keyword that is in demand in the US only, then obviously most of your visitors will come from the US. This then means that you need to design your web site primarily for US visitors. You will hence need to:
- use US spelling such as "color" and not "colour",
- if you sell products, then list your prices in US$,
- if you live in the US, then add a fax number so your visitors can place orders by fax,
- if you live in the US, you could organise a US free call number for your visitors to ring you should they need to,
- if you live in the US and you ship your orders, then you could include shipping costs. You could also include how long it will take for them to receive their order,
- if you don't live in the US, then you will need to make it possible for your visitors to pay you in US$,
- if you don't live in the US and you ship your orders, then you could include shipping costs. And you could include how long it will take for them to receive their order,
- and so on . . .
If on the other hand, you are wanting to target several non-English speaking countries, then:
- you may need to add a translation service to your site so that your visitors can read your site in their language,
- you may need to add a currency exchange service so that your visitors can convert your prices into their currency,
- you may need to make it possible for your visitors to pay you in their own currency,
- you may need to add other ways for your visitors to pay you apart from credit cards. You could offer international cheques/checks, money orders, direct bank transfers, . . . I once had a customer who wanted to pay me in Euros from Italy and needed my address to do so. The easier you make it for people to place an order, the greater the chances someone will place an order!
- if you ship your orders, then you could add the shipping costs to each of the countries you are targeting. And include how long it will take for them to receive their order,
- and so on . . . May be you can think of other things you will need to add to your site to accommodate your international visitors.
3. It will help you target the right keywords for the country you want to target. For example, if you want to target Canada, then you will need to use keywords that are in high demand in Canada only. There is absolutely no point doing keyword research in the UK if you are wanting to target Canada as the keyword demand between the 2 countries may vary greatly.
4. It will help you develop a keyword strategy so that you can target several countries at the same time. This can be achieved in several ways depending on the keywords' demand and supply.
- you could use keywords that are in common demand in the several countries. For example, if you sell "widgets" with your site and you find that there is a healthy demand for "black widgets" in the US, the UK, Canada and Australia. Then you could target that keyword with your site as that keyword will help you target 4 countries in one go,
- you could use keywords in demand in each country, as long as they complement each other and are highly relevant for your site. For example, using the widget idea, if you found that "colored widgets" are in demand in the US, "white widgets" are in demand in the UK, "black widgets" in Canada, and "coloured widgets" in Australia. Then, you would just target all these keywords with your site which would not be hard to do as all these keywords can easily be targeted together.
Given the right circumstances, you could even use both strategies at the same time.
As I mentioned in my first article, the Overture keyword tool enables you to research the demand for keywords in some 19 countries around the world. To see the countries that Overture supports, go to www.overture.com and have a look at the top right corner of the page. By clicking on any one of the countries listed, you will have access to the Overture keyword tool for the country you selected, and this will enable you to research the keyword demand in that country.
As you may know, keyword demand is only one half of the equation. Keyword demand needs to be looked at together with its supply numbers. One of the ways of determining keyword supply is to use Google. This means that to you need to know how to use Google to research the supply of keywords in your country of interest. This is a bit harder to explain and beyond the scope of this article.
I hope that this second article has convinced you about the need to be country aware when doing your keyword research. The success of your web site may depend on it.
Serge M Botans
Serge M Botans is the CEO of Meta Keywords Advice, a web site that provides advice on keywords. Free evaluation available. He is also the inventor of CID, which is an altenative to KEI.
5 SEO Wives' Tales That Won't Go Away Practical Ecommerce
Connections Between SEO And Timing Of Press Releases 12/13/2019 MediaPost Communications
12 Ways to Build a Winning SEO Strategy on a Small Budget Search Engine Journal
Coaching SEO To Win Forbes
Google Introduces Beta Explanations that Can Explain Smaller Issues with SEO Marketing Campaigns - Inc.
Google Introduces Beta Explanations that Can Explain Smaller Issues with SEO Marketing Campaigns Inc.
Discover How To Rank In Search Engines with Visual SEO Strategies By Reading Guest Post Tracker's Most Recent Post - Benzinga
Discover How To Rank In Search Engines with Visual SEO Strategies By Reading Guest Post Tracker's Most Recent Post Benzinga
Video: Ben Cook on site migrations & the earlier days in SEO Search Engine Land
The 8 Benefits of SEO for Ecommerce Practical Ecommerce
The five trends defining SEO and content marketing careers Marketing Week
WordPress SEO Beyond the Basics: 8 Things You Must Do Next Search Engine Journal
Local SEO Strategy Guide: How to Rank Where It Counts Search Engine Journal
8 Tried & Tested Tips for Improving SEO & Developer Relations Search Engine Journal
What Are Managed SEO Services? The Daily Campus
How to Make SEO Happen in 2020 Practical Ecommerce
Google’s John Mueller: Never Blindly Follow Big Sites’ SEO Search Engine Journal
SEO Is Everyone’s Responsibility: 5 Tips to Get Non-SEOs Bought Into SEO Search Engine Journal
John Mueller Surprises with Answer to a Negative SEO Question Search Engine Journal
Why Amazon success requires a holistic approach to SEO and advertising DigitalCommerce360
Why SEO is Important for Your Business Business 2 Community
How to Monitor SEO Topic Clusters, Silos Practical Ecommerce
Why SEO is an Essential Puzzle of Digital Marketing Business 2 Community
Reciprocal Links: Do They Help or Hurt Your SEO? Search Engine Journal
Video: Jeff Selig on the early days of SEO, Google algorithms & international SEO - Search Engine Land
Video: Jeff Selig on the early days of SEO, Google algorithms & international SEO Search Engine Land
Managing Successful SEO Migrations Search Engine Journal
Here’s Why Inclusive Web Design with SEO Wins 2020 Search Engine Journal
Elevating Women in SEO: The Industry Still Has a Long Way to Go Search Engine Journal
How Does SEO Work? JumpFly PPC Advertising News
How SEO Can Improve Your Business Jewish Link of New Jersey
How to Write SEO Proposals That Prove Your Value & Eliminate Client Concerns - Search Engine Journal
How to Write SEO Proposals That Prove Your Value & Eliminate Client Concerns Search Engine Journal
A framework for SEO success with structured data Search Engine Land
How to Create a Superior SEO Strategy Business.com
Should You Be Buying Links for SEO in 2020? Business 2 Community
Local SEO Explained Business 2 Community
Importance and Advantages of Using SEO to Your Business The African Exponent
Google search results eye candy: How users navigate search features and what it means for SEO - Search Engine Land
Google search results eye candy: How users navigate search features and what it means for SEO Search Engine Land
Gary Illyes Teaches SEO With SEO Periodic Table :) Search Engine Roundtable
Podcasts & SEO: How to Make Your Podcast SEO-Friendly Search Engine Journal
Unmasking Black Hat SEO for Dating Scams Security Boulevard
Machine Learning & SEO: Where Are We Now? - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news - The Predictive Analytics Times
Machine Learning & SEO: Where Are We Now? - Machine Learning Times - machine learning & data science news The Predictive Analytics Times
3 Ways to Bridge the Gap Between SEO and PPC Business 2 Community
Patent: Google Going Old School with Local SEO, But In A New Way Search Engine Journal
Is SEO dead? - VENTS Magazine
What is Data Driven SEO? GISuser.com
World's Leading SEO Provider, Attracta, can now manage your entire SEO campaign from start to finish through it's new managed SEO service - PR Web
World's Leading SEO Provider, Attracta, can now manage your entire SEO campaign from start to finish through it's new managed SEO service PR Web
5 SEO Strategies to Expand Your Online Reach Customer Think
Mike Grehan on Learning to Rank, Information Retrieval & The Death of SES [PODCAST] - Search Engine Journal
Mike Grehan on Learning to Rank, Information Retrieval & The Death of SES [PODCAST] Search Engine Journal
Guest Post Tracker Launches New Done-For-You Guest Posting Service To Help Businesses Put SEO On Autopilot - PR Web
Guest Post Tracker Launches New Done-For-You Guest Posting Service To Help Businesses Put SEO On Autopilot PR Web
30+ SEO Stats from 2019 to Guide Your Strategy in 2020 and Beyond [Infographic] - Social Media Today
Leading SEO Agency, The HOTH, Releases The Ultimate Guide To E-commerce SEO, Helping Online Stores Boost Their Presence And Grow Their SEO - PR Web
Leading SEO Agency, The HOTH, Releases The Ultimate Guide To E-commerce SEO, Helping Online Stores Boost Their Presence And Grow Their SEO PR Web
Disruptions in SEO That will Dominate Ranking Behavior in 2020 News & Features
TripAdvisor Buys SinglePlatform For $51M From ConstantContact To Offset Google's SEO Roadblocks 12/09/2019 - MediaPost Communications
TripAdvisor Buys SinglePlatform For $51M From ConstantContact To Offset Google's SEO Roadblocks 12/09/2019 MediaPost Communications
Link Building for 2020: What Works and What to Avoid MarTech Advisor
DraftKings | Remote Lead Software Engineer SEO Technical.ly
How UX Complements SEO to Improve Conversion Strategy Business 2 Community
How to Dominate SERPS by Focusing on Topics Instead of Keywords Search Engine Journal
Recovery From November 2019 Google Update Search Engine Journal
Seo-Ho Lee, Rohini Narayanan and Thomas Coulouras: Youth press Neal to support Green New Deal - GazetteNET
Seo-Ho Lee, Rohini Narayanan and Thomas Coulouras: Youth press Neal to support Green New Deal GazetteNET
10 SEO factors that influence your Google ranking Eastbourne Herald
2020 SEO and Digital Marketing Trends Tech Times
Move to Cloud Hosting without Compromising Your Website SEO HostReview.com
The Most Effective Link-Building Strategies According to SEO Experts MarketingProfs.com
Sr. Manager, SEO job with NBCUniversal, Inc. | 407143 mediabistro.com
Google: Ads.txt Is For AdSense But Not Needed For Search Or SEO Search Engine Roundtable
Four ways to improve your SEO results in 2020 Baltimore Business Journal
Survey Says: The Best SEO At Google Is John Mueller Search Engine Roundtable
Misquoted and misunderstood: Why many in the search community don’t believe the WSJ about Google search - Search Engine Land
Misquoted and misunderstood: Why many in the search community don’t believe the WSJ about Google search Search Engine Land
Digital Marketing Training in Tempe, AZ for Beginners | SEO (Search Engine Optimization), SEM (Search Engine Marketing), SMO (Social Media Optimization), SMM (Social Media Marketing) Training | Decemb - Phoenix New Times
Digital Marketing Training in Tempe, AZ for Beginners | SEO (Search Engine Optimization), SEM (Search Engine Marketing), SMO (Social Media Optimization), SMM (Social Media Marketing) Training | Decemb Phoenix New Times
Peter O'Neil the Co-Founder of SEO & Grow appears on this episode of the Irish Tech News podcast - Irish Tech News
Peter O'Neil the Co-Founder of SEO & Grow appears on this episode of the Irish Tech News podcast Irish Tech News
SEO Guidelines for Blogging Around Long-Tail Keywords The Future of Things
The Best Free SEO Tools to Increase Your Rankings Entrepreneur
Five and a Half Ways to Amp Up Your Search Engine Optimization
Statistics show that 85% of pages visited on the Internet come from people who have gotten there from a search engine. Statistically, people look first at the top of the first page of the regular search results, then the bottom, and then they go to the sponsored listings.
Search Engine Optimization Tips For 2005 - Part Three
Welcome to part three of our series of articles on search engine optimization. In the third and final part of our series of articles on search engine optimization we cover the topic of links, the types of links and what makes them so important.
Search Engine Optimization Techniques
Search engine optimization is the process of increasing the amount of visitors to a website by achieving a high ranking in the search results of a search engine (i.e.
Meta Tags - An Important Part of Every Web Page
Meta tags are an absolute must from a search engine optimisation perspective, there are many mistakes that can be made by not including these or even trying to 'spam' the SE's using them so heres a quick summary of the three main ones:Meta Page Title TagThe title tag is supported by all search engines and should be considered as the most important element in your optimisation process. Why is this you may ask? Well the page title is the first thing search engine spiders and human visitors will see.
Most Overlooked Search Engine Optimization Technique
Some of the basics when it comes to SEO and getting high ranking in search engines starts with using a keyword and then placing it strategically throughout the website in content, title, headline, etc. Using the keyword multiple times in your content is great, but lets look at something that a lot of websites completely overlook.
Utilizing Popular Directories as Free Link Sources
If you're a webmaster, you've probably spent almost as much time going after link exchanges as actually building your website. Gaining in-bound links, especially from websites with a higher PageRank than your own, can increase your own PageRank on Google, and help your site attain a better overall ranking in Google search results.
Great Site Ranking in Google The Secrets Out
How many years did you register your domain name for? If it was only one then Google could hold that against you.Why?Because the majority of Spam websites only register a domain name for one year.
Recommended Tools When You Put On The SEO Cap For Your Web Site
The name of the game is search engine optimization and there are 20 winners and a million losers. It is a massive game that is conducted each and every minute by the top search engines.
Search Engine Traffic: Winning With Content
Targeted traffic is the lifeblood of any online business. The best source of free-targeted traffic to your site is the search engines.
Stuck on Keywords
Keywords have turned into big business on the internet. If you pick the keywords that your customers are typing in, then your product is finally exposed to your perfect customer.
Over Optimization and the OOP - Does a Penalty Exist?
If you have questions about whether or not the Over-Optimization Penalty (OOP) exists or not, then you obviously haven't pushed the limits enough with your own website optimization or organic SEO efforts to have experienced the joys of running into the OOP (Over-Optimization Penalty).I'm sure you're probably thinking: "prove it".
Search Engine Optimisation - Getting Targeted Traffic
Getting SEO right is an art and it's based on theory and best practice. The search engines don't publish their algorithms so getting it right is like finding the exact formula for Coca Cola.
How Google Indexes Content From Your Web Directory
In a fluke, I was able to notice something about the way Google indexes content from web directories. Excluding your template, the most important line of code is the first title you add to your main body.
Google Wireless - Search Away From Home
For so many web surfers, it's almost automatic to type Google.com in to our address bar when we want to search.
Google Local Search And The Impact On Natural Optimization
With the advent of Google Local, a service that helps Web users find local businesses by typing in a search term and a city name, many questions arise concerning its impact on Natural Optimization.Google Local tracks down local stores and businesses by searching billions of pages across the Web, and then cross-checking these findings with Yellow Pages information to locate the local resources Web users wish to access.
Does Google Hire Mad Scientists?
Online search giant, Google, often tests the waters for new services by rolling out a "beta" (first) version of an idea to gauge public reaction.By employing this strategy, it's easy to imagine a building full of creative, "mad scientist" types cooking up the latest and greatest online gizmos.
Optimizing Your Website
Search Engine Optimization, optimizing your website for it to be visible in the search results of a search engine's query or in a search result of a directory.Basically, SEO is a marketing strategy for your site.
Non-Reciprocal Link Building For Higher Search Engine Positioning
Non-Reciprocal Link Building For Higher Search Engine Positioning By Dave Davies, Beanstalk Search Engine Positioning, Inc.There are two main advantages to non-reciprocal links as opposed to reciprocal links.
5 Qualities to Look for in a Search Engine Optimization Program for Your Website
These days with millions of websites out there, you need a way to get noticed. When your company website is ranked highly in the major search engines, customers from all over the world can find your front door.
The Search Engine Optimization Secret that Everybody Ignores
Search engine optimization is a very critical task in the success of any website.In recent times search engines seem to have complicated this task further by their frequent changes in rules.
|home | site map|