Is Something Missing From Your Keywords Research? (Part 2)
In my previous article, I raised the issue that proper keyword research must take into account countries. The reason for that was that the demand for keywords can vary between countries. I gave examples of that fact using the Overture keyword tool.
To support my argument (that we need to be aware of countries when doing keyword research), I gave 2 reasons:
1. it will help us determine which countr(y/ies) to target, and
2. it will help us know what countr(y/ies) our visitors are most likely to come from.
I would like, in this article, to expand on these 2 reasons. I would also like to add further reasons why any keyword research must be country based.
1. When doing keyword research, we need to understand the limitations of our research. This is necessary in order to remove any assumptions we make about our findings. For example, if you find that the demand for a keyword is very high in the US, you cannot assume that the demand for that same keyword will also be vey high in other countries. You will only know for sure how much demand there is worldwide by doing country specific keyword research. Such research can be done using a tool such as the Overture keyword tool,
2. It will tell you where your visitors are most likely to come from. This in turn will tell you what features you need to add to your web site. For example, if you are targeting a keyword that is in demand in the US only, then obviously most of your visitors will come from the US. This then means that you need to design your web site primarily for US visitors. You will hence need to:
- use US spelling such as "color" and not "colour",
- if you sell products, then list your prices in US$,
- if you live in the US, then add a fax number so your visitors can place orders by fax,
- if you live in the US, you could organise a US free call number for your visitors to ring you should they need to,
- if you live in the US and you ship your orders, then you could include shipping costs. You could also include how long it will take for them to receive their order,
- if you don't live in the US, then you will need to make it possible for your visitors to pay you in US$,
- if you don't live in the US and you ship your orders, then you could include shipping costs. And you could include how long it will take for them to receive their order,
- and so on . . .
If on the other hand, you are wanting to target several non-English speaking countries, then:
- you may need to add a translation service to your site so that your visitors can read your site in their language,
- you may need to add a currency exchange service so that your visitors can convert your prices into their currency,
- you may need to make it possible for your visitors to pay you in their own currency,
- you may need to add other ways for your visitors to pay you apart from credit cards. You could offer international cheques/checks, money orders, direct bank transfers, . . . I once had a customer who wanted to pay me in Euros from Italy and needed my address to do so. The easier you make it for people to place an order, the greater the chances someone will place an order!
- if you ship your orders, then you could add the shipping costs to each of the countries you are targeting. And include how long it will take for them to receive their order,
- and so on . . . May be you can think of other things you will need to add to your site to accommodate your international visitors.
3. It will help you target the right keywords for the country you want to target. For example, if you want to target Canada, then you will need to use keywords that are in high demand in Canada only. There is absolutely no point doing keyword research in the UK if you are wanting to target Canada as the keyword demand between the 2 countries may vary greatly.
4. It will help you develop a keyword strategy so that you can target several countries at the same time. This can be achieved in several ways depending on the keywords' demand and supply.
- you could use keywords that are in common demand in the several countries. For example, if you sell "widgets" with your site and you find that there is a healthy demand for "black widgets" in the US, the UK, Canada and Australia. Then you could target that keyword with your site as that keyword will help you target 4 countries in one go,
- you could use keywords in demand in each country, as long as they complement each other and are highly relevant for your site. For example, using the widget idea, if you found that "colored widgets" are in demand in the US, "white widgets" are in demand in the UK, "black widgets" in Canada, and "coloured widgets" in Australia. Then, you would just target all these keywords with your site which would not be hard to do as all these keywords can easily be targeted together.
Given the right circumstances, you could even use both strategies at the same time.
As I mentioned in my first article, the Overture keyword tool enables you to research the demand for keywords in some 19 countries around the world. To see the countries that Overture supports, go to www.overture.com and have a look at the top right corner of the page. By clicking on any one of the countries listed, you will have access to the Overture keyword tool for the country you selected, and this will enable you to research the keyword demand in that country.
As you may know, keyword demand is only one half of the equation. Keyword demand needs to be looked at together with its supply numbers. One of the ways of determining keyword supply is to use Google. This means that to you need to know how to use Google to research the supply of keywords in your country of interest. This is a bit harder to explain and beyond the scope of this article.
I hope that this second article has convinced you about the need to be country aware when doing your keyword research. The success of your web site may depend on it.
Serge M Botans
Serge M Botans is the CEO of Meta Keywords Advice, a web site that provides advice on keywords. Free evaluation available. He is also the inventor of CID, which is an altenative to KEI.
Why SEO & Machine Learning Are Joining Forces Search Engine Journal
The 3 Types of SEO Reports You Should Be Building in 2020 Search Engine Journal
How to Overhaul Your SEO Strategy for Just $50 Entrepreneur
In uncertain times, jump start your SEO TechCrunch
SEO: Why It Matters in Today's Market RisMedia.com
The Importance Of Accurate Local SEO NAP's For Attorneys GlobeNewswire
Stock Photography Impact on SEO Search Engine Journal
Top 10 Tools for Bulletproof SEO Content Strategies Search Engine Journal
In a Year of Worsts, SEO Just Became the Best Search Engine Journal
Enterprise SEO: Communication Within Your SEO Teams Search Engine Journal
SEO Marketing Manager - All Web Leads Built In Austin
Keyword Data Accuracy & Data Manipulation by SEO Tools [In-Depth Study] Search Engine Journal
Measuring SEO Value Beyond Rank & File: How to Attribute Content Value Search Engine Journal
5 Critical SEO Metrics Every Business Should Track Business 2 Community
Update on Google Ranking Factors: SEO Tips Business 2 Community
What Is Better for Product Pages & SEO: Content or Backlinks? Search Engine Journal
Elevating Your Analytics: A Guide for SEO Beginners Search Engine Journal
How to Show the Value of Local SEO Search Engine Journal
Your SEO Secret Explains How Long Press Release Services Should Be Used StreetInsider.com
Updating Content, News SEO, Time on Site & More with Loren Baker [PODCAST] Search Engine Journal
Facing the challenges of SEO now and in the future Casino Beats
Search & Destroy: SEO, Search Marketing & Heavy Metal Music [PODCAST] Search Engine Journal
How to Use Google My Business to Boost Your Content & SEO Search Engine Journal
How Natural Language Generation Changes the SEO Game Search Engine Journal
Replay: BuzzFeed SEO lead talks the future of AMP Search Engine Land
Florida's #1 SEO Firm Offering Free Online Marketing Consultations Virtual-Strategy Magazine
The Importance of an SEO Audit with Brian Harnish [PODCAST] Search Engine Journal
Celltrion Chairman Seo Enjoyed Increase of Over 3 Tril. Won in Stock Holding Value in H1 - BusinessKorea
Celltrion Chairman Seo Enjoyed Increase of Over 3 Tril. Won in Stock Holding Value in H1 BusinessKorea
Who Would Win An SEO Contest: John Mueller, Gary Illyes Or Martin Splitt Search Engine Roundtable
7 critical elements needed for large site SEO Business MattersBusiness Matters
SEO Executive for Centre for Science and Environment Centre for Science and Environment
Global SEO Testing Service Market 2020 with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2025 - Daily Research Chronicles
Global SEO Testing Service Market 2020 with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2025 Daily Research Chronicles
SEO News: Google Structured Data Testing Tool to be deprecated and Web Stories have got SEOs excited! - Internet Marketing News
SEO News: Google Structured Data Testing Tool to be deprecated and Web Stories have got SEOs excited! Internet Marketing News
How to Create Location Pages to Boost Local SEO and Drive Traffic Fast Business 2 Community
Seo Ye Ji’s astonishing wardrobe in It’s Okay To Not Be Okay has a secret? - Republic World - Republic World
Seo Ye Ji’s astonishing wardrobe in It’s Okay To Not Be Okay has a secret? - Republic World Republic World
BFA Outsourcing Solutions Interview About Small Business SEO 3rd Watch News
It's Okay To Not Be Okay actress Seo Ye Ji REFUSES to sport a bikini due to this traumatic experience - PINKVILLA
It's Okay To Not Be Okay actress Seo Ye Ji REFUSES to sport a bikini due to this traumatic experience PINKVILLA
SEO: Back To Basics Forbes
Zuendt Engineering Hires Brittany Seo as Civil Engineer GroundBreak Carolinas
Japanese film starring Choi Hee-seo to hit Seoul early 2021 The Korea Herald
Ministry of Justice makes official statement on Han Seo Hee testing positive for illegal drugs - allkpop
Ministry of Justice makes official statement on Han Seo Hee testing positive for illegal drugs allkpop
Major Bug in Grow by Mediavine WordPress Plugin Search Engine Journal
Watch: Kim Soo Hyun And Seo Ye Ji Show Unique Method Of Rehearsing Lines In “It's Okay To Not Be Okay” - soompi
Watch: Kim Soo Hyun And Seo Ye Ji Show Unique Method Of Rehearsing Lines In “It's Okay To Not Be Okay” soompi
Top 5 reasons why you need SEO AZ Big Media
10 SEO Tips to Implement in 2020 SmarterCX
SEO Software Market 2020 Size Analysis, Growth Overview 2027, Major Vendors – Moz, SEMRush, Linkdex, SpyFu, Conductor, etc. - 3rd Watch News
SEO Software Market 2020 Size Analysis, Growth Overview 2027, Major Vendors – Moz, SEMRush, Linkdex, SpyFu, Conductor, etc. 3rd Watch News
Kim Soo Hyun as Seo Ye Ji's safety pin benefits It's Okay To Not Be Okay; Once Again rating skyrockets - PINKVILLA
Kim Soo Hyun as Seo Ye Ji's safety pin benefits It's Okay To Not Be Okay; Once Again rating skyrockets PINKVILLA
SEO in 2020: What Basics You Need to Know to Be Successful Search Engine Journal
Design: Making SEO Look Good Forbes
The 10 Commandments Of SEO Forbes
Watch: Kim Soo Hyun, Seo Ye Ji, And Oh Jung Se Crack Up While Filming “It's Okay To Not Be Okay” In Medieval Costumes - soompi
Watch: Kim Soo Hyun, Seo Ye Ji, And Oh Jung Se Crack Up While Filming “It's Okay To Not Be Okay” In Medieval Costumes soompi
SEO in 2020: Going Beyond Google Search Engine Journal
'I could be dating Justin Bieber too': Here's how Park Seo-joon had rubbished dating rumours with Park - DNA India
'I could be dating Justin Bieber too': Here's how Park Seo-joon had rubbished dating rumours with Park DNA India
5 Ways SEO & Web Design Go Together Search Engine Journal
6 Ways to Know If Your SEO Is Broken Practical Ecommerce
Why SEO is More Important than Ever BOSS Magazine
Why startups need SEO services in 2020 AZ Big Media
Secrets That Make SEO Work Best 04/13/2020 MediaPost Communications
Why News SEO Is Crucial to Publishers Covering the Coronavirus Pandemic Search Engine Journal
Global Local SEO Software Market Report 2020-2026 by Technology, Future Trends, Opportunities, Top Key Players and more. - EIN News
Global Local SEO Software Market Report 2020-2026 by Technology, Future Trends, Opportunities, Top Key Players and more. EIN News
What Is Enterprise SEO? Search Engine Journal
How You Should or Shouldn't Use Synonyms for SEO Search Engine Journal
4 Tips to Build a Strong SEO Program During COVID-19 Search Engine Journal
5 of the Most Complex SEO Problems & How to Fix Them Search Engine Journal
How to Recover Lost SEO Keywords & Organic Traffic Search Engine Journal
SEO Is Everyone's Responsibility: 5 Tips to Get Non-SEOs Bought Into SEO Search Engine Journal
SEO Needs to Be Part of Your PR Strategy Entrepreneur
What SEO has to do with web development SDTimes.com
Paving the Path Forward with SEO: Preparing for New Normalities Search Engine Journal
Five and a Half Ways to Amp Up Your Search Engine Optimization
Statistics show that 85% of pages visited on the Internet come from people who have gotten there from a search engine. Statistically, people look first at the top of the first page of the regular search results, then the bottom, and then they go to the sponsored listings.
Search Engine Optimization Tips For 2005 - Part Three
Welcome to part three of our series of articles on search engine optimization. In the third and final part of our series of articles on search engine optimization we cover the topic of links, the types of links and what makes them so important.
Search Engine Optimization Techniques
Search engine optimization is the process of increasing the amount of visitors to a website by achieving a high ranking in the search results of a search engine (i.e.
Meta Tags - An Important Part of Every Web Page
Meta tags are an absolute must from a search engine optimisation perspective, there are many mistakes that can be made by not including these or even trying to 'spam' the SE's using them so heres a quick summary of the three main ones:Meta Page Title TagThe title tag is supported by all search engines and should be considered as the most important element in your optimisation process. Why is this you may ask? Well the page title is the first thing search engine spiders and human visitors will see.
Most Overlooked Search Engine Optimization Technique
Some of the basics when it comes to SEO and getting high ranking in search engines starts with using a keyword and then placing it strategically throughout the website in content, title, headline, etc. Using the keyword multiple times in your content is great, but lets look at something that a lot of websites completely overlook.
Utilizing Popular Directories as Free Link Sources
If you're a webmaster, you've probably spent almost as much time going after link exchanges as actually building your website. Gaining in-bound links, especially from websites with a higher PageRank than your own, can increase your own PageRank on Google, and help your site attain a better overall ranking in Google search results.
Great Site Ranking in Google The Secrets Out
How many years did you register your domain name for? If it was only one then Google could hold that against you.Why?Because the majority of Spam websites only register a domain name for one year.
Recommended Tools When You Put On The SEO Cap For Your Web Site
The name of the game is search engine optimization and there are 20 winners and a million losers. It is a massive game that is conducted each and every minute by the top search engines.
Search Engine Traffic: Winning With Content
Targeted traffic is the lifeblood of any online business. The best source of free-targeted traffic to your site is the search engines.
Stuck on Keywords
Keywords have turned into big business on the internet. If you pick the keywords that your customers are typing in, then your product is finally exposed to your perfect customer.
Over Optimization and the OOP - Does a Penalty Exist?
If you have questions about whether or not the Over-Optimization Penalty (OOP) exists or not, then you obviously haven't pushed the limits enough with your own website optimization or organic SEO efforts to have experienced the joys of running into the OOP (Over-Optimization Penalty).I'm sure you're probably thinking: "prove it".
Search Engine Optimisation - Getting Targeted Traffic
Getting SEO right is an art and it's based on theory and best practice. The search engines don't publish their algorithms so getting it right is like finding the exact formula for Coca Cola.
How Google Indexes Content From Your Web Directory
In a fluke, I was able to notice something about the way Google indexes content from web directories. Excluding your template, the most important line of code is the first title you add to your main body.
Google Wireless - Search Away From Home
For so many web surfers, it's almost automatic to type Google.com in to our address bar when we want to search.
Google Local Search And The Impact On Natural Optimization
With the advent of Google Local, a service that helps Web users find local businesses by typing in a search term and a city name, many questions arise concerning its impact on Natural Optimization.Google Local tracks down local stores and businesses by searching billions of pages across the Web, and then cross-checking these findings with Yellow Pages information to locate the local resources Web users wish to access.
Does Google Hire Mad Scientists?
Online search giant, Google, often tests the waters for new services by rolling out a "beta" (first) version of an idea to gauge public reaction.By employing this strategy, it's easy to imagine a building full of creative, "mad scientist" types cooking up the latest and greatest online gizmos.
Optimizing Your Website
Search Engine Optimization, optimizing your website for it to be visible in the search results of a search engine's query or in a search result of a directory.Basically, SEO is a marketing strategy for your site.
Non-Reciprocal Link Building For Higher Search Engine Positioning
Non-Reciprocal Link Building For Higher Search Engine Positioning By Dave Davies, Beanstalk Search Engine Positioning, Inc.There are two main advantages to non-reciprocal links as opposed to reciprocal links.
5 Qualities to Look for in a Search Engine Optimization Program for Your Website
These days with millions of websites out there, you need a way to get noticed. When your company website is ranked highly in the major search engines, customers from all over the world can find your front door.
The Search Engine Optimization Secret that Everybody Ignores
Search engine optimization is a very critical task in the success of any website.In recent times search engines seem to have complicated this task further by their frequent changes in rules.
|home | site map|