Beginners - Getting Listed In Search Engines
Once you have your web site complete and ready to be listed you need to take a slow step by step approach to get listed in the search engines. If you do it right the first time and then build on that formula, your profits and your site will benefit in the long run. Those willing to spend the time and put these techniques into practice are the ones that will benefit and are more likely to be successful.
1. Your first page is where search engines will start and making sure that this page is fully optimized is one of your first goals. What's optimization your ask? It's making your site as search engine friendly as possible. You will also see people refer to this in the short form of SEO.
Your first step is the TITLE TAG. This is one item that search engines look for to start getting information about what your site is about. It is also what search engines will show above a clickable line on their results page. It is also a major consideration of where you will rank when certain inquiries are made of the search engine. TITLE TAGS are one of the major things to concentrate on and to make sure that you get it right. Doing so will result in not only better placement in the search engine, but enticing descriptions will also result in more people clicking on your link and visiting your site.
Take a look at what your competition is doing in order to get some ideas for your site. To see their TITLE TAG go to their web site and in IE or Netscape click on View then Source and you will be able to see their TITLE TAG. Don't copy theirs, but let this help you get some ideas for your own site.
2. Putting keyword phrases into your pages - Finding the perfect set of keywords for your web pages and knowing the right keywords to use is very important because your site should provide people with what they are looking for. A free program to help you can be found at: http://www.goodkeywords.com Good Keywords makes use of various tools provided by search engines like Yahoo, Google, Teoma and other services like Alexa. Using Good Keywords makes it all very simple, fast and straight forward. Just remember...don't over do it or you will be penalized.
3. Writing your web page copy - Your next step is to incorporate those keywords into the copy on your web site. This is extremely important as search engines need to see these keywords on your page so they can then analyze these words and decide where your site should be listed in their categories. Write your content around the keywords and use them as many times as possible, keeping in mind though...that it is not just a search engine that is reading the copy but also your visitor.
4. META TAGS - Meta tags provide search engines with information about the content and purpose of a Web site. A Web site that uses meta tags to the best of their ability will appear more often in search results and will also be seen closer to the top on those search results. Many people feel that stuffing keywords into the meta tags will help improve their rankings. The original idea behind meta tags was to give a way to classify the web site. The problem now is that many engines don't consider meta tags to be as relevant to the ranking, therefore they give them less weight overall because of the keyword stuffing techniques used. That's not to say that you still shouldn't use meta tags, just consider to use them for what they were originally intended - that is to give your site an accurate title and description with a few keywords (3 or 4 phrases max) outlining what the page, or site is about.
5. ALT TAGS - The ALT tag or 'alternative text' is an attribute of the IMG tag. (Any graphic on your web site) An ALT tag should be included for every image within your web site. The ALT tag provides an alternate message to your viewers who can't see your graphics. Without ALT tags, images on a web site are meaningless to these users. If you will be using a graphic menu systems for navigation, these alternate messages are an especially important aid to users without the ability to see your graphics. Adding an appropriate ALT tag to every image within your web site will make a huge difference to the accessibility of your web site. Also, for those who use Yahoo and Google image searches, your ALT Tags can be very important and will help bring traffic to your site. Take for instance one of my sites - http://www.spasoftheworld.com I have loads of graphics of different resort spas and the graphics all carry the name of the resort. People looking for information on this resort may easily end up at my website because I names a picture with the name of the resort.
On the reverse side, ALT TAG stuffing, which is using the tags in an image to hide keywords will rarely help a site's position. If you can insert a key phrase into the image description then by all means do so. Remember that Alt tags do usually count towards your overall keyword density so it's better to have relevant keyword alt tags rather than something like "image01.gif".
6. Linking - with more search engines coming online every day, search engines are looking for ways to serve quality links to visitors. This is where linking to other sites and having them link to you becomes important to both you and the search engine. People who assume that the more inbound links to them will help them, are very wrong. This may have been true at one time but not today. Search engines need to give quality results. One way they have of rating your site is by the quality of inbound links to your site. Therefore sites that are closely related to your site and that link to you will help boost your popularity in search engines. With Google this is a huge issue in how you rank with them. Having a hundred links from all sorts of site may result in hurting your ranking and you may be viewed as a link farm.
7. Spiders - A search engine is a database that has been put together by spiders. Spiders scour the Internet going through pages and recording information available on web pages. Spiders then give the information to the database and the database feeds the results. Theoretically, the web site should show up in the search results the next time the engine updates. It is important that all links on your site be active. A dead link may prevent a spider from doing your entire site.
8. Robots Text file - Search engines will look in your root domain for a special file named "robots.txt" (http://www.mydomain.com/robots.txt). The file tells the robot (spider) which files it may spider (download). This system is called, The Robots Exclusion Standard.
9. FLASH - This has to be one of the top mistakes a web site owner can do to hurt their search engine rangkings. Good content will win over flash every time and getting visitors to your site is what you are trying to accomplish. The only thing the search engines will be able to see when visiting a site where the first page is all flash are the title tags and links. In most cases that will not be enough. Over and over it's content rich pages that will get you the rankings you need. You may have to decide between getting a high ranking or having a "pretty" entry page. Remember that you goal is customers and sales. It might be kewl the first time you visit the site but when you have to go there over and over again it becomes very annoying not to mention that people on dialup must cringe when faced with such a page. They often give up because of the length of time it takes to load.
10. Don't expect results overnight. It takes time to get your ranking up there, even with paid inclusion. You may start out with a low ranking when you are first listed but as you continue to optimize your site and build "relevant" links you will start to see a gradual climb. As you wait for your rise to the top, concentrate on building as many relevant links as possible. Beside increasing your ranking you will be surprised at the number of referrals that you will received from those linked pages.
Jean Sutherland has successfully run her own ezine for over 6 years and has a subscriber base of 35,000. Her ezine is geared to people doing business online and beside offering free software, it also provides traffic & marketing tips, informative business articles, free ebooks and computer tips for those trying to work online. http://www.emailpromotions.net
How QA Testing for SEO Can Boost Your Traffic & Revenue Search Engine Journal
1Digital Agency Starts SEO for KM Herbals PRNewswire
Learn the SEO and social media tactics to build a truly thriving online business – The Next Web - Syria News
Learn the SEO and social media tactics to build a truly thriving online business – The Next Web Syria News
You're Likely Missing Out on Google Traffic. Boost Your SEO with This Budget-Friendly Tool. - Entrepreneur
You're Likely Missing Out on Google Traffic. Boost Your SEO with This Budget-Friendly Tool. Entrepreneur
1Digital Agency Starts SEO for KM Herbals | State | dailyamerican.com Daily American Online
Use SEO to Overcome Crisis - business.com Business.com
How is SEM related to SEO? AZ Big Media
Why & How Content Pruning Helps Your SEO Search Engine Journal
How Can I Set Up an SEO Agency? Search Engine Journal
6 Effective SEO Tips for Beginners BOSS Magazine
DMA Named Best SEO Company for August 2020 Martechcube
What SEO Strategies Should You Be Using Right Now? Digital Information World
The 3 Types of SEO Reports You Should Be Building in 2020 Search Engine Journal
5 Key Tools to Improve the SEO Potential of Your Content Social Media Today
You Don't Have to Code to Be Great at SEO Search Engine Journal
15 Most Common Enterprise SEO Job Requirements Search Engine Journal
10 On-Site Technical SEO Factors to Assess in an SEO Audit Search Engine Journal
Advanced tactics for SEO title tag optimization Search Engine Land
Common Shopify SEO pitfalls and how to avoid them Search Engine Land
SEO Audit Checklist: 9 Page-Level Factors to Assess Search Engine Journal
AMP & SEO: Everything You Need to Know Search Engine Journal
10 Website Content Factors You Must Check During an SEO Audit Search Engine Journal
Best Wordpress SEO tools in 2020 TechRadar
Why SEO & Machine Learning Are Joining Forces Search Engine Journal
Extra Structured Data Could Be Useful for SEO Search Engine Journal
Top 4 SEO Trends for 2020 and Beyond Marketing Tech Outlook
How to Use Heatmaps to Take Your SEO Strategy to the Next Level Search Engine Journal
Amazon SEO Isn't Google SEO: 6 Differences That Matter Business 2 Community
How to Prevent SEO Issues With QA Testing [Webinar] Search Engine Journal
This training in SEO and social media could make all the difference in your marketing efforts - Boing Boing
This training in SEO and social media could make all the difference in your marketing efforts Boing Boing
How to Evaluate Content Length in an SEO Audit Search Engine Journal
11 Domain Factors You Must Evaluate During an SEO Audit Search Engine Journal
Google Ads vs SEO: Which One To Choose? YourStory
6 Best Hacks For SEO Managers Business 2 Community
What's The Impact Of Machine Learning On SEO? Marketing Tech Outlook
Google SEO 101: Page Speed Optimization Search Engine Journal
6 Quick SEO Fixes for Website Optimization Business 2 Community
Prosper live chat: Alex Jordan, director of Museo Analytics, answered your SEO questions - Stuff.co.nz
Prosper live chat: Alex Jordan, director of Museo Analytics, answered your SEO questions Stuff.co.nz
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Tools Market 2020 SWOT Analysis & Key Business Strategies By Leading Industry Players- Ahrefs, Google, SEMRush, KWFinder, MOZ, Yoast SEO, Bonus Tool, SpyFu Etc. - Owned
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Tools Market 2020 SWOT Analysis & Key Business Strategies By Leading Industry Players- Ahrefs, Google, SEMRush, KWFinder, MOZ, Yoast SEO, Bonus Tool, SpyFu Etc. Owned
SEO Checklist: The Positive & Negative Signals You Need to Know About [Infographic] - Social Media Today
SEO Checklist: The Positive & Negative Signals You Need to Know About [Infographic] Social Media Today
Global Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Software Market 2020 by Major Players – Linkody, Moz Pro, WordStream, SpyFu - Bulletin Line
Global Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Software Market 2020 by Major Players – Linkody, Moz Pro, WordStream, SpyFu Bulletin Line
All in One SEO Pack Vulnerability - New Exploit Search Engine Journal
3 Tips for Keyword Research & Content Localization Success Search Engine Journal
Seo Ye-ji gives us wardrobe envy in It’s Okay to Not Be Okay South China Morning Post
Why SEOs should care about brand Search Engine Land
AMP Digital Agency Offers Effective SEO Services in Minneapolis, MN - Press Release - Digital Journal
How to Improve SEO Agency-Client Communications & Relationships Search Engine Journal
SEO Software Market Worth Observing Growth : Searchmetrics, Ahrefs, Moz - Press Release - Digital Journal
SEO Software Market Worth Observing Growth : Searchmetrics, Ahrefs, Moz - Press Release Digital Journal
SEO Software Market 2020 COVID-19 Worldwide Spread and Top Key Players – Conductor, SE Ranking Limited, Yext, AgencyAnalytics Inc., WordStream, etc - Owned
SEO Software Market 2020 COVID-19 Worldwide Spread and Top Key Players – Conductor, SE Ranking Limited, Yext, AgencyAnalytics Inc., WordStream, etc Owned
Mother jumps into 30m well to save son The Phuket News
How to Choose an E-commerce SEO Agency? https://www.indianretailer.com/
'It's Okay To Not Be Okay' actress Seo Ye Ji's past appearance in Big Bang's 'Let's Not Fall In Love' MV going viral - allkpop
'It's Okay To Not Be Okay' actress Seo Ye Ji's past appearance in Big Bang's 'Let's Not Fall In Love' MV going viral allkpop
Content Marketing Manager Charlotte Agenda
SEO: Back To Basics Forbes
10 SEO Tips to Implement in 2020 SmarterCX
SEO: Why It Matters in Today's Market RisMedia.com
SEO Service Provider Services Market Demand and Growth Opportunities by 2025| WebiMax, OneIMS, Thanx Media, Scripted - Owned
SEO Service Provider Services Market Demand and Growth Opportunities by 2025| WebiMax, OneIMS, Thanx Media, Scripted Owned
How to Overhaul Your SEO Strategy for Just $50 Entrepreneur
Photo: A dapper Park Seo Joon and his cute pet dog Simba are up to their old shenanigans during a photoshoot - PINKVILLA
Photo: A dapper Park Seo Joon and his cute pet dog Simba are up to their old shenanigans during a photoshoot PINKVILLA
It's Okay To Not Be Okay: Kim Soo Hyun, Seo Ye Ji, others wrap filming sans a party for THIS reason - PINKVILLA
It's Okay To Not Be Okay: Kim Soo Hyun, Seo Ye Ji, others wrap filming sans a party for THIS reason PINKVILLA
The 10 Commandments Of SEO Forbes
Design: Making SEO Look Good Forbes
SEO in 2020: What Basics You Need to Know to Be Successful Search Engine Journal
SEO, Content, and Email Work Better Combined Practical Ecommerce
SEO in 2020: Going Beyond Google Search Engine Journal
6 Ways to Know If Your SEO Is Broken Practical Ecommerce
In uncertain times, jump start your SEO TechCrunch
Press Releases Can Increase Search Engine Positioning
When you write a press release, what is your ultimate goal? No doubt, getting the information to as many publications and on as many Web sites as possible. The focus lies in moving outward? taking the press release to as many *other* sources as possible.
The Secret To Getting Indexed In Yahoo
Getting indexed in Yahoo has become very difficult in the last few months. The indexing robot, Yahoo!Slurp, has become erratic.
What Makes The Perfect SEO Firm?
SEO companies come in all shapes and sizes. You've got your solo SEOs that either a) do everything themselves and/or b) sub-contract out many aspects of each campaign while maintaining a tight control on the quality and results of the project.
How to Improve Your Search Engine Rankings
When people think of search engine optimization, they immediately think of time consuming very tedious tasks that are way beyond their capabilities. That might be true if they put no time and effort into it.
Search Engine Optimization: Who Do You Trust?
Internet search engines exist to organize the seemingly immeasurable amount of information available on the web. They direct people to pages that are relevant to their searches, pages that discuss the exact keywords they are looking for.
How to Use the Google Patent to Get More Traffic
According to the recent release of the Google Patent Application, many of the things you're doing to get better page rank and increase your position in natural search are about to be history. It's frightening how much things are going to change.
You Cannot Hide From the Public Record Search Engines
As a search engine optimization specialist, I often run across search engines of different sorts than most people are aware of. This week I stumbled across a free site that is used by journalists to do background checks and fact checking on sources of news stories.
Hiring An SEO Constultant - 10 Reasons Why You Should
It crosses every webmaster's mind anytime they see an ad or an email for search engine marketing. Many small business owners wonder what they're missing by not doing it.
Google PageRank Explained
PageRank - an exclusive technology developed by Google which can have a major impact on the success of your website. This article will attempt to explain the concept of PageRank and how your ranking can be improved without spending any money at all.
The Long And Short Of It Is That These Two Sales Techniques Are The Same
With the Internet beginning to stand up and be counted as an online business medium, many are beginning to realize that selling online is not only possible, but very profitable. People are seeking ways to improve their sales technique online and close on more of their website visitors.
Importance of Keywords in Anchor Text or Title Text
Keywords are indisputably, the single most important element of an anchor text.First of all, for those who are still learning the ropes let us define an anchor text.
Submit All Of Your Pages And Watch Your Traffic Grow
Everyone is looking for "secrets" about how to get more qualified traffic to their web sites. What I'm going to share with you is no secret, however it is not practiced by very many companies or individuals.
LSI and Link Popularity
When Paypal's official Web site no longer ranked #1 in Google on a search for "paypal," it was obvious that Google had become more aggressive in penalizing sites with "unnatural" backlink anchor text. Although the high-profile Paypal example has since been rectified, thousands of webmasters are suffering the consequences of not ranking for even their official company name, let alone their top keywords.
Google Is Taking Descriptions From Alexa!
In a recent study looking at the "descriptions" of website search engine listings, we have noticed that your main SERP listing is being manipulated by Alexa.com.
Site Maps: Let Search Engines Find Your Pages
With 40 million websites in existence, and more than 3 billion web pages indexed by Google at the time of this writing (July 2003), it's no wonder that more and more people are relying on search engines to find their way through the unruly world that the web has become.Nowadays, it is crucial to get your pages indexed by the most important search engines.
SEO Made Easy!
Search engine optimization remains a minefield of old advice, outdated ideas and outright dangerous techniques that can get you banned. Here's the main points to great search engine optimization.
How To Indirectly Get To The Top Of Search Engines
There are millions of web sites trying to get listed in the top 20 spots of the major search engines. That amounts to a lot of competition! Even if your website can't get in the Top 20, you can use indirect ways to get it there.
Now More Than Ever...You Need To Optimize Your Site for Search Engines
As the economy begins to recover in certain parts of the world, more and more online marketers are looking for affordable ways to drive qualified traffic to their sites. That's why, now more than ever, you need to optimize your site for the search engines.
13 Tips For Good Search Engine Placements
When used properly in combination with other basic search engine tactics, these tips can help to dramatically improve your placement with the search engines and increase the traffic to your web site.1.
How Search Engines Work
Before anyone can start optimizing a web site, you must understand how search engines work.Search engine optimization is the hardest thing to do for a webmaster because there are so many rules to it and you have to stay up to date with all the new search engine optimization techniques.
|home | site map|