Beginners - Getting Listed In Search Engines
Once you have your web site complete and ready to be listed you need to take a slow step by step approach to get listed in the search engines. If you do it right the first time and then build on that formula, your profits and your site will benefit in the long run. Those willing to spend the time and put these techniques into practice are the ones that will benefit and are more likely to be successful.
1. Your first page is where search engines will start and making sure that this page is fully optimized is one of your first goals. What's optimization your ask? It's making your site as search engine friendly as possible. You will also see people refer to this in the short form of SEO.
Your first step is the TITLE TAG. This is one item that search engines look for to start getting information about what your site is about. It is also what search engines will show above a clickable line on their results page. It is also a major consideration of where you will rank when certain inquiries are made of the search engine. TITLE TAGS are one of the major things to concentrate on and to make sure that you get it right. Doing so will result in not only better placement in the search engine, but enticing descriptions will also result in more people clicking on your link and visiting your site.
Take a look at what your competition is doing in order to get some ideas for your site. To see their TITLE TAG go to their web site and in IE or Netscape click on View then Source and you will be able to see their TITLE TAG. Don't copy theirs, but let this help you get some ideas for your own site.
2. Putting keyword phrases into your pages - Finding the perfect set of keywords for your web pages and knowing the right keywords to use is very important because your site should provide people with what they are looking for. A free program to help you can be found at: http://www.goodkeywords.com Good Keywords makes use of various tools provided by search engines like Yahoo, Google, Teoma and other services like Alexa. Using Good Keywords makes it all very simple, fast and straight forward. Just remember...don't over do it or you will be penalized.
3. Writing your web page copy - Your next step is to incorporate those keywords into the copy on your web site. This is extremely important as search engines need to see these keywords on your page so they can then analyze these words and decide where your site should be listed in their categories. Write your content around the keywords and use them as many times as possible, keeping in mind though...that it is not just a search engine that is reading the copy but also your visitor.
4. META TAGS - Meta tags provide search engines with information about the content and purpose of a Web site. A Web site that uses meta tags to the best of their ability will appear more often in search results and will also be seen closer to the top on those search results. Many people feel that stuffing keywords into the meta tags will help improve their rankings. The original idea behind meta tags was to give a way to classify the web site. The problem now is that many engines don't consider meta tags to be as relevant to the ranking, therefore they give them less weight overall because of the keyword stuffing techniques used. That's not to say that you still shouldn't use meta tags, just consider to use them for what they were originally intended - that is to give your site an accurate title and description with a few keywords (3 or 4 phrases max) outlining what the page, or site is about.
5. ALT TAGS - The ALT tag or 'alternative text' is an attribute of the IMG tag. (Any graphic on your web site) An ALT tag should be included for every image within your web site. The ALT tag provides an alternate message to your viewers who can't see your graphics. Without ALT tags, images on a web site are meaningless to these users. If you will be using a graphic menu systems for navigation, these alternate messages are an especially important aid to users without the ability to see your graphics. Adding an appropriate ALT tag to every image within your web site will make a huge difference to the accessibility of your web site. Also, for those who use Yahoo and Google image searches, your ALT Tags can be very important and will help bring traffic to your site. Take for instance one of my sites - http://www.spasoftheworld.com I have loads of graphics of different resort spas and the graphics all carry the name of the resort. People looking for information on this resort may easily end up at my website because I names a picture with the name of the resort.
On the reverse side, ALT TAG stuffing, which is using the tags in an image to hide keywords will rarely help a site's position. If you can insert a key phrase into the image description then by all means do so. Remember that Alt tags do usually count towards your overall keyword density so it's better to have relevant keyword alt tags rather than something like "image01.gif".
6. Linking - with more search engines coming online every day, search engines are looking for ways to serve quality links to visitors. This is where linking to other sites and having them link to you becomes important to both you and the search engine. People who assume that the more inbound links to them will help them, are very wrong. This may have been true at one time but not today. Search engines need to give quality results. One way they have of rating your site is by the quality of inbound links to your site. Therefore sites that are closely related to your site and that link to you will help boost your popularity in search engines. With Google this is a huge issue in how you rank with them. Having a hundred links from all sorts of site may result in hurting your ranking and you may be viewed as a link farm.
7. Spiders - A search engine is a database that has been put together by spiders. Spiders scour the Internet going through pages and recording information available on web pages. Spiders then give the information to the database and the database feeds the results. Theoretically, the web site should show up in the search results the next time the engine updates. It is important that all links on your site be active. A dead link may prevent a spider from doing your entire site.
8. Robots Text file - Search engines will look in your root domain for a special file named "robots.txt" (http://www.mydomain.com/robots.txt). The file tells the robot (spider) which files it may spider (download). This system is called, The Robots Exclusion Standard.
9. FLASH - This has to be one of the top mistakes a web site owner can do to hurt their search engine rangkings. Good content will win over flash every time and getting visitors to your site is what you are trying to accomplish. The only thing the search engines will be able to see when visiting a site where the first page is all flash are the title tags and links. In most cases that will not be enough. Over and over it's content rich pages that will get you the rankings you need. You may have to decide between getting a high ranking or having a "pretty" entry page. Remember that you goal is customers and sales. It might be kewl the first time you visit the site but when you have to go there over and over again it becomes very annoying not to mention that people on dialup must cringe when faced with such a page. They often give up because of the length of time it takes to load.
10. Don't expect results overnight. It takes time to get your ranking up there, even with paid inclusion. You may start out with a low ranking when you are first listed but as you continue to optimize your site and build "relevant" links you will start to see a gradual climb. As you wait for your rise to the top, concentrate on building as many relevant links as possible. Beside increasing your ranking you will be surprised at the number of referrals that you will received from those linked pages.
Jean Sutherland has successfully run her own ezine for over 6 years and has a subscriber base of 35,000. Her ezine is geared to people doing business online and beside offering free software, it also provides traffic & marketing tips, informative business articles, free ebooks and computer tips for those trying to work online. http://www.emailpromotions.net
Google’s John Mueller Speaks on SEO for Dark Mode Websites Search Engine Journal
What Does It Mean to ‘Do SEO’? Search Engine Journal
What Entrepreneurs Should Know About SEO Business.com
Moz launches Domain Analysis, free tool for SEO metrics Search Engine Land
Can SEO Be Made Predictable? Search Engine Journal
SEO: Expertise in 1 Area Can Lead to Weakness in Others Practical Ecommerce
The Top 4 Enterprise SEO Platform Tools: An In-Depth Review Search Engine Journal
Redefining SEO in the Age of Digital Transformation Destination CRM
Can SEO Have a Negative Effect? Search Engine Journal
A Guide to On-Page SEO for Ecommerce Websites Search Engine Journal
10 Alternative Ways to Level Up Your SEO Skills Search Engine Journal
3 Places for SEO Beginners to Focus Their Time Search Engine Journal
5 Ways SEO Helps Marketers Work Smarter with Bigger Brands Search Engine Journal
7 Coding Barriers to SEO Success Practical Ecommerce
An Introduction to Python for Technical SEO Search Engine Journal
7 SEO 'Rules' to Ignore for Ecommerce Practical Ecommerce
One Tool for Improving Image SEO for the Future Search Engine Journal
Multiple H1s won’t get in the way of your SEO, Google says Search Engine Land
Should you do 100% of your SEO in-house? Search Engine Land
SEO 2020: Top 15 Google Page Ranking Factors hypebot.com
My experience with SEO Practical Ecommerce
Google’s John Mueller Asks Why SEOs Don’t Publish Their Address Search Engine Journal
Image SEO: A Step-by-Step Guide for Ranking in Search Engines [Infographic] MarketingProfs.com
Aleyda Solis on International SEO & How to Be Super Productive While Traveling [PODCAST] - Search Engine Journal
Aleyda Solis on International SEO & How to Be Super Productive While Traveling [PODCAST] Search Engine Journal
SEO Company Winnipeg Search Engine People
What Is Forensic SEO? Search Engine Journal
BrightEdge Unveils New Technology That Puts SEO on Autopilot Search Engine Journal
BrightEdge promises ‘self-driving SEO’ with new Autopilot offering Search Engine Land
GIVEAWAY: Win an SEJ SEO-Themed T-Shirt! Search Engine Journal
How a content audit can improve your organic SEO performance Search Engine Land
Brian McDowell on Enterprise Ecommerce SEO, Mobile & Respect [PODCAST] Search Engine Journal
80 SEO & SEM Statistics That Prove the Power of Search [2019 Update] Business 2 Community
5 Excellent YouTube Channels to Follow to Learn SEO Business 2 Community
Getting started with a terminal emulator for SEO programming Search Engine Land
College 101: 3 Ways to Optimize Your Blog Posts for SEO The Daily Cardinal
SEO Manager job with Creative Circle | 405148 mediabistro.com
SEO in 2020: How to Perfectly Optimize Your Website for Google [Infographic] Social Media Today
Brennen Bliss Recognized as Young SEO Professional of the Year at 2019 US Search Awards - Business Wire
Brennen Bliss Recognized as Young SEO Professional of the Year at 2019 US Search Awards Business Wire
Content Truly Is King in SEO JumpFly PPC Advertising News
Basic SEO For A Cannabis Business Website mitechnews.com
Google: HTML Sitemaps Not Worthwhile For SEO Purposes Search Engine Roundtable
Using Topic Clusters to Improve Law Firm SEO Bigger Law Firm Magazine
Why SEO Isn't Enough 09/24/2019 MediaPost Communications
Top 10 Next-Generation CMS Features to Maximize SEO & Revenue [Webinar] Search Engine Journal
Is Google's Nofollow Change a Peek into SEO's Future? Practical Ecommerce
SEO Tricks Applied to the World of Email Marketing Business 2 Community
Law Firm SEO Mistakes You Should Avoid Programming Insider
10 eCommerce SEO Tips to Generate More Traffic to Your Shop [Infographic] Social Media Today
SEO vs PPC: When Do You Optimize for Each? Business 2 Community
SEO Critique of 3 Ecommerce Blogs Practical Ecommerce
Seo clinches women's lead overall title with win at IFSC World Cup Insidethegames.biz
Google Sept. 2019 Core Update ‘weaker’ than June core update Search Engine Land
First Page and Decathlon's traffic campaign partnership promises massive SEO performance boosts - Marketing Interactive
First Page and Decathlon's traffic campaign partnership promises massive SEO performance boosts Marketing Interactive
Do You Need a Seasonal SEO Strategy? The Realtime Report
Power Digital Marketing Acquires SEO Agency Factorial 10/18/2019 MediaPost Communications
Helping Low-Income Students Navigate College The New York Times
Moz Develops New Metrics For SEO Analysis 10/14/2019 MediaPost Communications
SEO Tricks For Email Marketers 10/17/2019 MediaPost Communications
September 2019 Google Update – Winners and Losers Search Engine Journal
Seo Joon, so fashionable BusinessWorld Online
[Insert SEO headline here] | News The Times
WeWork Selling Conductor SEO Company Search Engine Journal
Guest columnists Seo-Ho Lee and Naomi Johnson: Youth climate activists take over the streets of Boston - GazetteNET
Guest columnists Seo-Ho Lee and Naomi Johnson: Youth climate activists take over the streets of Boston GazetteNET
Top 10 CMS Features to Maximize Your Website Traffic & Revenue Search Engine Journal
Community remembers Adam Seo Argonaut
How My Battle Against Eating Disorders Shaped My Career Search Engine Journal
Park Hang-seo: “Vietnam's preparations are aimed at victory” Nhan Dan Online
The Effect of Page Speed on Google Ranking and SEO TechSpective
Media Options Launches "SEO Authority Domain Deals" Newsletter DomainInvesting.com
SEO Testing Service MARKET 2019 ANALYSIS BY PRODUCT TYPE, APPLICATIONS, REGIONAL OUTLOOK, TECHNOLOGY, OPPORTUNITY AND FORECAST 2024 - Online News Guru
SEO Testing Service MARKET 2019 ANALYSIS BY PRODUCT TYPE, APPLICATIONS, REGIONAL OUTLOOK, TECHNOLOGY, OPPORTUNITY AND FORECAST 2024 Online News Guru
Netizen who spread malicious rumors involving Girls' Generation's Sunny and actor Lee Seo Jin convicted of defamation - allkpop
Netizen who spread malicious rumors involving Girls' Generation's Sunny and actor Lee Seo Jin convicted of defamation allkpop
Malicious Commenter Receives Sentence For Spreading False Rumor About Lee Seo Jin And Sunny - soompi
New Kid on the Block: Stephén Seo Tribeca Citizen
The Best Free SEO Tools to Increase Your Rankings Entrepreneur
7 SEO best practices you should be doing regardless of what Google says Search Engine Land
Quick and easy keyword basics to boost SEO for your digital content Niche Publishing Network
6 Brilliant Reasons Why You Should Use SEO Tools Search Engine Journal
Press Releases Can Increase Search Engine Positioning
When you write a press release, what is your ultimate goal? No doubt, getting the information to as many publications and on as many Web sites as possible. The focus lies in moving outward? taking the press release to as many *other* sources as possible.
The Secret To Getting Indexed In Yahoo
Getting indexed in Yahoo has become very difficult in the last few months. The indexing robot, Yahoo!Slurp, has become erratic.
What Makes The Perfect SEO Firm?
SEO companies come in all shapes and sizes. You've got your solo SEOs that either a) do everything themselves and/or b) sub-contract out many aspects of each campaign while maintaining a tight control on the quality and results of the project.
How to Improve Your Search Engine Rankings
When people think of search engine optimization, they immediately think of time consuming very tedious tasks that are way beyond their capabilities. That might be true if they put no time and effort into it.
Search Engine Optimization: Who Do You Trust?
Internet search engines exist to organize the seemingly immeasurable amount of information available on the web. They direct people to pages that are relevant to their searches, pages that discuss the exact keywords they are looking for.
How to Use the Google Patent to Get More Traffic
According to the recent release of the Google Patent Application, many of the things you're doing to get better page rank and increase your position in natural search are about to be history. It's frightening how much things are going to change.
You Cannot Hide From the Public Record Search Engines
As a search engine optimization specialist, I often run across search engines of different sorts than most people are aware of. This week I stumbled across a free site that is used by journalists to do background checks and fact checking on sources of news stories.
Hiring An SEO Constultant - 10 Reasons Why You Should
It crosses every webmaster's mind anytime they see an ad or an email for search engine marketing. Many small business owners wonder what they're missing by not doing it.
Google PageRank Explained
PageRank - an exclusive technology developed by Google which can have a major impact on the success of your website. This article will attempt to explain the concept of PageRank and how your ranking can be improved without spending any money at all.
The Long And Short Of It Is That These Two Sales Techniques Are The Same
With the Internet beginning to stand up and be counted as an online business medium, many are beginning to realize that selling online is not only possible, but very profitable. People are seeking ways to improve their sales technique online and close on more of their website visitors.
Importance of Keywords in Anchor Text or Title Text
Keywords are indisputably, the single most important element of an anchor text.First of all, for those who are still learning the ropes let us define an anchor text.
Submit All Of Your Pages And Watch Your Traffic Grow
Everyone is looking for "secrets" about how to get more qualified traffic to their web sites. What I'm going to share with you is no secret, however it is not practiced by very many companies or individuals.
LSI and Link Popularity
When Paypal's official Web site no longer ranked #1 in Google on a search for "paypal," it was obvious that Google had become more aggressive in penalizing sites with "unnatural" backlink anchor text. Although the high-profile Paypal example has since been rectified, thousands of webmasters are suffering the consequences of not ranking for even their official company name, let alone their top keywords.
Google Is Taking Descriptions From Alexa!
In a recent study looking at the "descriptions" of website search engine listings, we have noticed that your main SERP listing is being manipulated by Alexa.com.
Site Maps: Let Search Engines Find Your Pages
With 40 million websites in existence, and more than 3 billion web pages indexed by Google at the time of this writing (July 2003), it's no wonder that more and more people are relying on search engines to find their way through the unruly world that the web has become.Nowadays, it is crucial to get your pages indexed by the most important search engines.
SEO Made Easy!
Search engine optimization remains a minefield of old advice, outdated ideas and outright dangerous techniques that can get you banned. Here's the main points to great search engine optimization.
How To Indirectly Get To The Top Of Search Engines
There are millions of web sites trying to get listed in the top 20 spots of the major search engines. That amounts to a lot of competition! Even if your website can't get in the Top 20, you can use indirect ways to get it there.
Now More Than Ever...You Need To Optimize Your Site for Search Engines
As the economy begins to recover in certain parts of the world, more and more online marketers are looking for affordable ways to drive qualified traffic to their sites. That's why, now more than ever, you need to optimize your site for the search engines.
13 Tips For Good Search Engine Placements
When used properly in combination with other basic search engine tactics, these tips can help to dramatically improve your placement with the search engines and increase the traffic to your web site.1.
How Search Engines Work
Before anyone can start optimizing a web site, you must understand how search engines work.Search engine optimization is the hardest thing to do for a webmaster because there are so many rules to it and you have to stay up to date with all the new search engine optimization techniques.
|home | site map|