Twelve Steps to Higher Search Engine Placement
Recent studies suggest that more than 80% of new visitors to any web site get there as a result of a search engine query. If this study is to believed, it certainly suggests that working to get high rankings in the search engines might be the most effective thing you can do to bring traffic to your site.
The following 12 design tips will help you get started in optimizing your site's search engine placement.
1. Design for Specific Search Engines - there are hundreds of different search engines, but for best results you should design your site to take full advantage of the search criteria of the big three - Yahoo, Google and MSN. If you can get high rankings in these three, you won't need to worry about the other search engines. Knowing how these search engines rank sites (as well as why they will penalize a site) is important. The rules change often, but the tips below are the most current.
2. Know your target audience. Before you apply any of the tips below, do some research and find out what are the most likely key words and phrases your target audience will be searching for. In most cases, the key words or phrases won't be your site name, but will be something related to the solution to a specific problem or the answer to a specific question. Knowing the question that will be asked is half the battle.
3. Use Meta tags. By now just about everyone knows about Meta tags. These are commands you can place in the html on your web page to help the search engines categorize what your page is about. The two most important Meta Tags are 'Keyword' and 'Description'. The description Meta tag should describe what is on the particular page, and the keyword Meta tag should include the important key words from the page. Avoid using 'fluff' words and phrases as these will be ignored by the site.
Warning: If the keywords in the Meta keyword line are not found within the text on the web page, some search engines will penalize the page or simply not list it. This is done to prevent 'meta tag' spoofing.
My advice - have a different Meta description tag on every page. And be sure that keywords in the keyword tags are used on the page.
4. Optimize your Title tag. Many search engines give considerable weight to the html title tag on the page. It is the first element the search engine will scan and weight. Not including a title instantly reduces the search engine ranking your page will receive. When yo create a title tag, include keywords and write it to catch the attention of the users be scanning lengthy lists of titles in search engine results.
For higher ranking, make sure the title tag matches headline text on the page. And be sure to use a different title tag for each page on your site. (Pages with the same title tag will often be ignored.)
5. Use Keywords in page headlines. Page headlines are important - to your visitor as well as to search engines. Use short keyword phrases, including hot button words and phrases. Avoid 'fluff' and generic words.
My advice - use a strong headline on the page, and use the same headline in the title tag.
6. Use interesting text. Search engines actually count all the words on a webpage, then rank those words by frequency of use. The more often you use a word or phrase(up to a point), the higher you will rank with that word or phrase in the search engine. For that reason, be sure to include words or phrases that are likely to be searched for on your pages.
My advice - Keep your text short, on topic, and packed full of keywords. Avoid useless and meaningless words, and certain phrases that will place you in the penalty box.
7. Use the AlT tags on all images. Search engines are starting to index sites by the images found on the site. They accomplish this by looking at all the image tags on the page, and cataloging the ALT tags accompanying the image. Obviously if you don't use the ALT tag, then images on your site won't be properly cataloged. When using the alt tag, be sure to use a keyword or phrase describing the content of the image.
8. Use the Title tag on links. Search engines look at all text on the site, including the title tag on the links on your site. Most sites still don't use the link title tag, so when you do, you gain an advantage. The link title should be a short keyword or phrase.
My advice - Check out how the pages on my site have a left navigation menu filled with department names. I try to make these names keywords for my site, and the link to the departments all make use of the title tag. Doing it this way means that the search engine ranks the department names twice. Once as text, and again as a Link Title Tag.
9. Provide a Link Trail. Search engines coming to your site follow the links on the front page that lead into your site. These links should provide a 2 level trail to all pages on your site. If you don't provide a link trail, the search engines probably won't find all your pages. (And even if you do provide a 'link trail' - if you use the same title tag and Meta tags on your pages, the search engine may ignore all the pages beyond the first one.)
My advice - check out how every page on my site has a one click link trail to any department on the site. You are never more than two clicks away from any page. Plus every page has at least 30 different link trails (through the departments) making it easy for visitors as well as search engine spiders to move through the site.
10. Avoid the Penalty Box. Search engines are getting smarter every day, and they will penalize a site if it violates search engine rules. These rules include:
Keyword spoofing - using keywords not related to site content
Keyword spamming - pasting hundreds of copies of the keywords on the page just to get high ranking
Numerous doorway pages - using hundreds of index pages that do nothing but point to the site
Link Spamming - submitting links to the 500,000 link submission services
Page Redirects - not necessarily a major penalty, but can cause loss of ranking
Frames on Main Page - not necessarily a major penalty, but can cause loss of ranking
Flash Movie on Main Page - not necessarily a major penalty, but can cause loss of ranking
My advice: Keep in mind that search engines are intelligent software. When they visit a page they try to determine what the page is about, relying primarily on the titles, headlines, text, links, and images on the page. That's why it is important to focus on those elements, and avoid the ones that can put you in the penalty box.
11. Check for errors. Before you submit your page to the search engines, run the page through an html checker and a spelling checker. Search engines do check and take into consideration spelling and html errors, and will penalize a page that has too many of either.
My advice - take the time to do it right. If you get a poor ranking on a search engine it might be six weeks before the search engine comes back to re-rank you. Get it right before you submit to the search engines, and then keep it right so when the search engine returns, you will continue to get high rankings.
12. Manually submit the site. Don't be tempted to use an automatic site submission program. They don't work, and can get you penalized. Better to manually submit your site to the top search engines. Yahoo, Google, MSN.
My advice - Start with Google.com, then yahoo.com, and then MSN.com. Each has a place to register your site with their search engine.
This may seem a lot of work, but if you do it right and get high rankings, it will pay off.
Craige Stacey has been studying search engines optimization as a hobby and has achieved some very good search engine positions in the past for PublisherGate - membership website software
SEO myths busted by an ex-Googler Search Engine Land
SEO Content Strategy Tips to Boost Your Ranking in 2019 The Content Standard by Skyword
Reciprocal Links: Do They Help or Hurt Your SEO? Search Engine Journal
The Future of SEO: What SEO & Marketing Pros Need to Understand Search Engine Journal
SEO Keyword Research: 13 of the Biggest Mistakes You MUST Avoid Search Engine Journal
SEO Is Everyone’s Responsibility: 5 Tips to Get Non-SEOs Bought Into SEO Search Engine Journal
Elevating Women in SEO: The Industry Still Has a Long Way to Go Search Engine Journal
Here’s how to leverage long-tail keywords for your SEO Search Engine Land
Ongoing Education: Your Secret to SEO Success Search Engine Journal
A framework for SEO success with structured data Search Engine Land
Real-Time Insight & Real-Time Action in SEO: How Automation Bridges the Gap Search Engine Journal
A 50-Point Audit for Getting Started with Local SEO Search Engine Journal
Here’s Why Inclusive Web Design with SEO Wins 2020 Search Engine Journal
Google’s Baby Algorithms: How to Think About Them for SEO Search Engine Journal
Google Launches New, Animated Video Series About SEO for Beginners Search Engine Journal
What is SEO? businessjournaldaily.com
SEM vs. SEO vs. PPC Defined: What’s the Difference? Search Engine Journal
How to Make Your Social Media SEO-Friendly INSTORE MAG
Google’s John Mueller Speaks on SEO for Dark Mode Websites Search Engine Journal
How to find your ideal SEO agency Search Engine Land
SEO best practices support ADA compliance for digital accessibility Search Engine Land
5 SEO Tips to Optimize Your Next Blog Post Business 2 Community
Let's Untangle the Knotty Mystery of SEO Radio World
TF-IDF: Can It Really Help Your SEO? Search Engine Journal
30+ SEO Stats from 2019 to Guide Your Strategy in 2020 and Beyond [Infographic] - Social Media Today
Three Off-Site Tactics That Seriously Boost SEO Traffic MarketingProfs.com
Why the University of Arizona changed its abbreviation for SEO Search Engine Land
Video: Eric Enge on Google advice vs. real-world SEO experience Search Engine Land
5 Free Keyword Research Tools for SEO & PPC JumpFly PPC Advertising News
For SEO, How Fast Is Fast Enough? Practical Ecommerce
Tesla Solar: Is Google SEO the Only Issue? Market Realist
Screaming Frog releases SEO Spider version 12.0 Search Engine Land
SEO: Google's BERT Update Helps Ecommerce Product Pages Practical Ecommerce
Benchmarking Beyond SEO: What Competitors' Website Traffic Can Reveal Search Engine Journal
University of Arizona switches from UA to UArizona for SEO The Associated Press
Travel SEO: 8 Ways to Build Links & Get Press as a Travel Brand Search Engine Journal
Barry Schwartz on Covering SEO News, Productivity & How to Grow a Business [PODCAST] - Search Engine Journal
Barry Schwartz on Covering SEO News, Productivity & How to Grow a Business [PODCAST] Search Engine Journal
How to Boost SEO for Coworking Spaces Commercial Property Executive
The psychology of SEO on Brains Byte Back The Sociable
Why Discoverability Needs to Be an SEO Focus with Garrett Mehrguth [PODCAST] - Search Engine Journal
Why Discoverability Needs to Be an SEO Focus with Garrett Mehrguth [PODCAST] Search Engine Journal
How Often Should You Do an SEO Audit on Your Company Site? Business 2 Community
5 DIY SEO Tips That Your Small Business Needs Business.com
How Google's BERT SEO Update Will Impact Content and Search PR News - For Smart Communicators
5 SEO Trends to Help Marketing Leaders Prepare for 2019 The African Exponent
Google BERT Update – What it Means Search Engine Journal
5 SEO suggestions to market your food truck | Commentary Food Truck Operator
Rand Fishkin on optimizing for and against Google Search Engine Land
Could Blogging Boost Your Ecommerce SEO? Practical Ecommerce
Guide to Local Franchise Marketing Business.com
Video: Eric Enge on building and selling his SEO agency Search Engine Land
10 Best SEO Podcasts to Master the Art of SEO 99Signals - Tech News, Tech Hacks, & More
Enterprise SEO Services Market 2019 Size, Development Strategy, Analysis, Opportunity Assessment, Key Players and Trends by Forecast 2026: Clutch.co, Solomofy, Conductor, ClickMatix, Sefati & Co., CATT Inc, Profito Interactive Pvt. Ltd. - Market Report Gazette
Enterprise SEO Services Market 2019 Size, Development Strategy, Analysis, Opportunity Assessment, Key Players and Trends by Forecast 2026: Clutch.co, Solomofy, Conductor, ClickMatix, Sefati & Co., CATT Inc, Profito Interactive Pvt. Ltd. Market Report Gazette
Watch: Oh Yeon Seo And Ahn Jae Hyun Can't Stand Each Other In New Look At “Love With Flaws” - soompi
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Tools Market – Major Technology Giants in Buzz Again | Yoast SEO, Ahrefs, SEMRush, KWFinder, MOZ - Daily Market Insight
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Tools Market – Major Technology Giants in Buzz Again | Yoast SEO, Ahrefs, SEMRush, KWFinder, MOZ Daily Market Insight
What Does It Mean to ‘Do SEO’? Search Engine Journal
The Best Free SEO Tools to Increase Your Rankings Entrepreneur
Should you do 100% of your SEO in-house? Search Engine Land
My experience with SEO Practical Ecommerce
7 SEO best practices you should be doing regardless of what Google says Search Engine Land
Can SEO Be Made Predictable? Search Engine Journal
HigherVisibility Launches Free SEO Tool to Grade the CTR Effectiveness of Title Tags - Maryville Daily Times
HigherVisibility Launches Free SEO Tool to Grade the CTR Effectiveness of Title Tags Maryville Daily Times
6 Brilliant Reasons Why You Should Use SEO Tools Search Engine Journal
7 Best SEO Tools to Help You Rank Higher in Google Entrepreneur
6 SEO Tips to Benefit Any Business Entrepreneur
10 Ebooks About SEO You Should Download & Read Now Search Engine Journal
Lee Na Young, Park Seo Joon, Lee Jin Wook, And Jung Hae In Attend Donation Event For Warmer Winter - soompi
Lee Na Young, Park Seo Joon, Lee Jin Wook, And Jung Hae In Attend Donation Event For Warmer Winter soompi
What's the Value of SEO? Practical Ecommerce
Search Engine Metrics: Organic Search vs. Paid Placement
Let me preface this report by citing advertisers in 2004 have spent 4 Billion dollars on search engine marketing according to the Search Engine Marketing Professional Organization (SEMPO).Website marketers cited Search engine positioning was the top method to drive traffic to their sites (66%), followed by email marketing (54%).
The Top 3 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Websites Search Engine Rankings- and How to Fix Them!
Getting your website up and running is hard enough. After spending hours getting the HTML code just right and trying to make sure that you provide a great user experience, the last thing you want to do is change everything around in order to get your site ranked higher on the search engines.
Learn about the Google Search Engine Tools
Think you know everything about searching with Google? Think again. Believe it or not, there are many tools and features available on Google that can be useful for marketing research as well as wasting time.
How to Boost Your Traffic and Profits with Content!
Are you aware of how vitally important and valuable CONTENT is to your online business? In fact, content can do more to build your business and profits than just about any other resource or service available.Following is a list of 5 key ways that content can help build your traffic, subscribers, and customers starting today!.
The Myth of Guaranteed #1 Ranking in Search Engine Marketing
You've seen the ads: Guaranteed #1 Ranking! There are no guarantees in search engine marketing and website promotion. If anyone tells you different, you should check quickly to make sure they don't have their hand in your wallet.
Internet Marketing and SEO
Have you ever seen any email offers of getting you to the top of search engines guaranteeing top rankings. Like anything in life there is no quick result without hard work.
Why You Need a SEO Maintenance Plan
A search engine optimization maintenance service plan will ensure that your site will continue to increase in its rankings, attract more visitors and make more sales. It's not enough to simply design your web site, have it optimized for the search engines and expect it to continually rank well.
Search Engines from a Webmaster Perspective
By now, virtually every webmaster has heard or read that the major search engines are responsible for 80% or more of the traffic received by most web sites and that most searchers never look beyond the first 20 - 50 search results. Not surprisingly, an entire industry devoted to search engine ranking and search engine optimization (SEO) has sprung up to capitalize on these well known facts.
Improve Search Engine Rankings - The Real Deal!
Ok, here's the deal, follow these steps and shoot me if your rankings doesn't improve. I know that there's been so many articles on how to improve your search engine rankings but most of them are either incomplete or untrue.
Meta Tag Tactics - Give Your Website Traffic a Boost with the Meta Tag Basics
Getting your site noticed by the search engines and rewarded with top rankings is most webmasters main goal, however there are a lot of different factors that play into what the search engines are looking for, including Meta tags. So, if you don't know anything about meta tags but are interested in learning about them so you can use them to possibly increase your rankings, then read the following basic tips regarding meta tags.
Buzzwords vs Effective SEO Keywords
Ever see a website that seems to speak a foreign language..
Is Reciprocal Linking Dead?
I just read an article at SitePro News that really rings my bell.It was written by Mike Banks Valentine.
10 Things to Expect from Your SEO Copywriter
From the perspective of a business owner, webmaster, or marketing manager, the change exhibited by the Internet is profoundly exciting, yet profoundly disturbing. The information (and misinformation and disinformation) it offers, the business benefits it promises, and the rules it is governed by change at such a rapid rate that it's almost impossible to keep up.
Search Engine Rankings for Beginners
Search engine optimization is best left in the mystical land of the Intenet Marketing Guru right? Good Search engine rankings are tough to achieve. Understanding search engine marketing takes years of studying and only people with true insider knowledge and secret tools rank well in Google right? WRONG.
Google WebSearch? & Google Adsense - Yahoo!
The makers of the world renowned search engine, Google, have taken things a step further to increase their user loyalty, grow their user base and at the same time reward websites for helping them promote their search engine. What a beautiful deal.
SEO -- Tips to Optimize Your Webpage to Compete for a High Ranking
Search engine optimization (SEO) is very important to websites. If you rank high in search engines, your website are shown to a huge number of target users.
Submit All Of Your Pages And Watch Your Traffic Grow
Everyone is looking for "secrets" about how to get more qualified traffic to their web sites. What I'm going to share with you is no secret, however it is not practiced by very many companies or individuals.
Pay-per-click - the Ultimate Tool to Boost Affiliate Sales
The old ways are not always the best ways.The traditional model of making money from affiliate products was simple.
I was all set to write an article predicting the future of search engines, when Yahoo dropped Google and replaced it with its own engine. Now that's big news.
Keywords are the "KEY" to a Popular and Profitable Web Site
Keyword Research will reveal answers to 3 critical questions:1. Is there a demand for what your site offers? If not, you need to keep moving down your list until you find something that people are already looking for.
|home | site map|